Menu

Beowulf on the Beach?

Has anyone read Beowulf on the Beach: What to Love and What to Skip in Literature's 50 Greatest Hits by Jack Murnigahn? If so, what did you think of it and do you think it's worth owning. I am rather hoping that Ester Maria is really busy now and does not see this post because this looks like potential slacker mom/student material and I am tempted.:tongue_smilie: Here's why. Dd has been reading Fagels' translation of the Iliad. This is outside of her previous literary experience, even though she is a strong, thoughtful reader. She read Hamilton's Mythology book and Coolidge's The Trojan War as background material in preparation for the Iliad. It was a pleasure to see her enjoyment of about the first 330 pages or so until Book 12. Now she is stuck on "the laundry list of who has died." I had her take a break and read Till We Have Face: A Myth Retold, which was a complete hit.

Now, I have a thing about finishing books; however, my time left with dd is limited and I want to spend it relishing great literature, not slogging through it. Perhaps I can use Beowulf on the Beach to a eliminate some passages in classics that may not really make a great contribution. I know that sounds terrible, but well, there you have it.

Your thoughts.

Edited by swimmermom3
Forgot the link

No relevence at all to your question, but when I first saw the title of this post I had two thoughts:

1) Is that some new drink?

2) Heck ya, any day!

:lol:It does sound like a new drink and it does sound relaxing. I did add a link in case you are tempted.:D I discovered it in a link for an AP Lang. syllabus. The teacher had linked to an interview with the author on NPR. The page wasn't there but I am still going to see if I can find it. After looking at the titles of some of his other books, I figure he must be a bit of a character.

I love this. It's done to my favorite song, too...

Luna, these videos are great! Did you see the Charlemagne one? If you don't mind, I will link a few of these on the middle school board

I've read big sections of it. It would be a fun book to have. Don't take the book as gospel; treat it like advice froma friend. He tells you why he likes these books, what parts drag, and what parts not to miss.

Thanks, Dee. Our library doesn't have it, so it is a "To buy or not to buy" question. We are trying to make up for lost time with dd, so this could be a great resource. Also, it has been 25+ years since I read four of the novels and I need a refresher.

Those videos are terrific! I just spent the last half hour watching various ones. I like the Lady Gaga French Revolution song and will now forever associate "Bad Romance" with Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite!

Lisa -- the audio version of The Iliad is somewhat abridged as I recall. It keeps the action pace going. Also, Dr. Vandiver's lectures (The Teaching Company) will fill in any gaps if you decide NOT to finish it.

I opted to have my ds watch several of the lectures from the series "Western Literary Canon in Context" in lieu of reading the actual books. There is only so much time in high school yet a lifetime ahead of them to decide and explore the classics. I'd rather give them a taste -- whet their appetites and prepare them for deeper study then skip them altogether.

Beowulf on the Beach is a terrifc name for a drink. I'm thinking it might make for a terrific holiday project...

Lisa, I'll post it over there for you. NM- You already did. :-)

Besides the Beowulf one, my other favorite is The Black Plague, "Ooooh, fleas on rats, fleas on rats..."

Jenn, we spent an hour one night watching these, even my dh got into it.

Be sure to send me the recipie for Beowulf on the Beach...

Edited by LunaLee

I've read big sections of it. It would be a fun book to have. Don't take the book as gospel; treat it like advice froma friend. He tells you why he likes these books, what parts drag, and what parts not to miss.

I pretty much agree. There is a lot he says about the few women writers, for instance, that I take issue with, except that the book is so mellow in tone -- indeed like a friend giving an opinion and reading advice -- that it seems way out of key with the whole thing. It is meant for fun.

I agree with you about not wasting time on slogging. Dd made it through around a third of the unabridged Morte D'Arthur (audiobook) before she said she was sick of the guys running into other guys and fighting before they even knew each other's identities. Rather than make it unpleasant for her, something to grit her teeth and endure, I put it on a very high shelf where we can forget about it for a couple of years.

Your dd will remember what she read and loved. It's a great start, and remember, the classics are for all the rest of her life.

Edited by Guest

I pretty much agree. There is a lot he says about the few women writers, for instance, that I take issue with, except that the book is so mellow in tone -- indeed like a friend giving an opinion and reading advice -- that it seems way out of key with the whole thing. It is meant for fun.

I agree with you about not wasting time on slogging. Dd made it through around a third of the unabridged Morte D'Arthur (audiobook) before she said she was sick of the guys running into other guys and fighting before they even knew each other's identities. Rather than make it unpleasant for her, something to grit her teeth and endure, I put it on a very high shelf where we can forget about it for a couple of years.

Your dd will remember what she read and loved. It's a great start, and remember, the classics are for all the rest of her life.

I appreciate the couple of heads-up with regards to women writers and to know to take the author's recommendations with a grain of salt.

Karen, you know I am trying not to panic about finding the delicate balance between challenging dd while encouraging her enjoyment of great literature. The truth of it is that I am still mournful that she will not get to experience all those college literature courses that I loved.Then there is the feeling of feeling like I need to cover sooo much ground. I have to stop myself often from asking, "How can this particular child not want to go to college?" So the goal this year is to make her so thirsty for more that she will chose to continue to read on her own.

I enjoyed reading Beowulf on the Beach, but it's not a book I feel the need to own. Would inter-library loan be an option for you, Lisa?

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni, my copy will be at our library tomorrow! That gives me the break to solidify our reading list for the rest of the year.