Menu

Graphing calculators...what to buy?

So far DS16 (now in pre-calc.) has been getting by with my old Casio (hey, it is a piece of history) and online calculators. He's been looking at all the TI models, but we're a bit overwhelmed at the choices. Which calculator should he get to carry him on through college? His current interests extend to engineering, but a future major is completely up in the air.

have the student who will use the calculator spend some time with whatever you would use as a user's manual. See if he can understand and learn from it without much additional explanation and help.

I found that those things can be tough to figure out how to use and a manual that actually helps your student learn how to use it is pretty important.

Blessings,

Debbie

Some colleges will have requirements in their math or science departments about what model calculator they want, so be aware that he may need to get a new calculator in college anyway.

At our school (cc), the math department has students use the TI-84+. Some people are transitioning to the N-spire. I'd get the TI-84 right now - it's usable on most tests - and be prepared to buy another in college.

When I did the research, I came up with the TI-Nspire as being the best choice.

Here's a link showing the differences:

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/nonProductSingle/graphing_course_comparision.html

I didn't get the CAS version as it's not compatible with the 84, and many texts and teachers are most familiar with this model and instruct the students on the keystrokes needed based on this.

I think that in more advanced engineering, another one will be needed, but each year brings such changes to the calculators that I think it's better gotten down the road anyway.

HTH