Menu

Need suggestions on which burr grinder for French Press...

We roast our own coffee beans...and, have always either used a hand-crank burr grinder or one of those inexpensive Capresso blade grinders. However, I would like to get an electric burr grinder to replace the Capresso. My head is spinning with all the reviews I've read on-line.

Any suggestions? We do not drink espresso...but, we do use a French Press exclusively for making coffee.

Thanks!

~Holly

When I was reading on Coffeegeek last week, the name Baratza Vario kept coming up as an excellent grinder, but it costs big bucks ($450 on Amazon). There are other cheaper models by Baratza, but their reviews are spotty. I was thinking of getting a hand grinder (a Hario mini mill or Kyocera ceramic grinder), which are more in my price range.

I am always intrigued when I hear about people roasting their own beans! I've seen instructions for modifying a popcorn popper for this purpose. Care to share how you are doing it?

We bought a roaster from Sweet Maria's...on-line...a few years ago. I have friends that use their air popper...but, they said it makes a big mess. Coffee roasters have a chamber that catches all the "chaff."

We mostly go by "color" of the bean. There is a great visual guide on the Sweet Maria's site to show you exactly what "City"..."Full City"...etc. should look like. On the packages of green coffee beans...they tell you what roast is best for that bean.

Does that help?

~Holly