Menu

OPGTR question

Celia

I think it depends on what you mean. I believe the authors say fourth grade, but it doesn't mean the child will be able to read as well as an average fourth grader. Being able to decode complex words is only a part of what reading at a fourth grade level means.

OPGTR teaches phonics and provides a modicum of reading practice. It's entirely possible for a child to finish OPGTR and have a first-grade level of fluency, even if they can decode most words they encounter.

Remember that Jessie Wise suggests that the OPGTR should be only part of the day's reading lesson, with reading real books taking equal (if I recall correctly) time.

I think it depends on what you mean. I believe the authors say fourth grade, but it doesn't mean the child will be able to read as well as an average fourth grader. Being able to decode complex words is only a part of what reading at a fourth grade level means.

I suppose that's true. It says it goes to a 4th grade level, and that's exactly where my daughter tested out to be after we finished it but we also did a lot of additional reading with it. At least with my daughter, she needed to build reading "stamina" alongside the ability to decode the words, and OPGTR doesn't build stamina at all.

Interesting.

:)

I can see how that would be true, with fluency lacking behind the ability to decode. We practice fluency and comprehension with quite a bit of extra reading during the day, much more than the time it takes to do OPGTR. Reading would be pretty boring otherwise!

Thank you for the answer!