Menu

Ok, I'm starting to really freak out!

toolkat

Need some newbie advice!

I homeschooled my kids in kindergarten and first grade, then sent them to public school. They did ok, except socially. Typical bullying, friend issues, and such. Pulled them both, and now homeschool 7th and 8th grade.

I purchased almost everything that was suggested in 'The Well Trained Mind'. Really tried to stick to the tight schedule, and now I am at a loss.

We have really concentrated on the social aspect of homeschooling, and the kids are doing awesome with their new friends. We are so busy....almost too busy. I haven't panicked yet, because I know it takes some adjusting when you first start homeschooling. Now we really need to buckle down because we have hardly been doing school work.

I think a part of me has let our hectic social schedule continue because I am really worried about the curriculum that I have chosen for them. Latin Road to English Grammar hasn't gone too well. My kids and I haven't a clue as to what to make of Traditional Logic, so we have scraped that for now. We are using Math-U-See, and I am thinking about letting them watch the DVDS because I am hoping it will help them. The history book I purchased, 'History: The Definitive Guide' is very confusing and not at all easy to navigate through.

On a high note, we love the Rosetta Stone Spanish, Rod and Staff Grammar, all the experiments we are doing for earth science, and our Rod and Staff and Pearables Bible Programs.

Please tell me that this will get better!

I think a part of me has let our hectic social schedule continue because I am really worried about the curriculum that I have chosen for them. Latin Road to English Grammar hasn't gone too well.

I give you permission to ditch it and then to sell it so that you don't have to ever look at it again. Pick up Vocabulary from Classical Roots if you want, but if not they will be fine.

My kids and I haven't a clue as to what to make of Traditional Logic, so we have scraped that for now.

I give you permission to ditch it. Pick up Fallacy Detective. After they have completed Fallacy Detective, you may want to give Traditional Logic another try. However, if you don't, that's fine also.

We are using Math-U-See, and I am thinking about letting them watch the DVDS because I am hoping it will help them.

Heavens yes! Definitely have them watch the DVDs.

The history book I purchased, 'History: The Definitive Guide' is very confusing and not at all easy to navigate through.

I give you permission to ditch it. If they haven't listened to SOTW, get it on audio CD and listen to it. Play it in the car while you are going places to be social. Get a copy of Spielvogel's Glencoe World History high school text to read alongside them. If you are needing something lighter at this point, try Walch's Short Lessons in World History.

How wonderful that you have given them the time to build friendships and feel good about themselves! Long term self esteem will be more important than whether or not they finished Latin in junior high.

HTH-

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN

Gosh, yes, ditch what doesn't click for you and find what does! There are numerous programs used and mentioned here that you may find helpful if you dig around. Actually, I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas when people read your post tomorrow. :)

People are always adjusting materials to work for them too, like watching the MUS dvd's with the kids or doing much of Rod and Staff grammar orally rather than having them write out so much. I wasted too much time with my dd having her do ALL the problems in our Horizons math when she really didn't need all that review. It freaked me out at first, too, to do things differently than they were intended, but I get it now. :)

I like Mandy's suggestions for alternative materials.

Keep reading and learning and you won't feel so freaked out. You are doing fine!

Homeschool friends can be great. We know :D.

You've gotta buckle down over the winter/spring semester and get down to the schoolwork. Like the other parents said, if something's really not working, get rid of it. Also, can you write out a list of goals for schoolwork and then break it down and organize it into weeks? That would help you see where you are in the school year and how much you need to accomplish before next fall.

RELAX!!!

It is good to get the social thing going because you and your kids are probably enjoying some more healthy relationships and that is so healing. However, yes, we have to get the show on the road with academics too!

I just want to make sure you have done the Bridge to the Latin Road first and not just the first year of the Latin Road. If this is the Bridge and it is not working, ditch it! I love the idea of Classical Education but it is not for everyone (take my family for example!). Maybe find some stuff that is not quite so challenging and is more fun like the examples given above and enjoy that aspect of school too. Have fun, it is all a process I have discovered and it just takes some time to get your homeschooling legs but you will get there!