Menu

X-Post: Another MCT Question

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

In light of the fact that Magic Lens 1 won't be revised for another 6 weeks (which could turn into longer than 6 weeks), do you experts think it would be a good idea to get the Voyage Level to work through until it's ready? My kids are pretty solid in general grammar (completed Shurley English Levels 3 - 7) so I don't think they NEED to back up to Grammar Voyage, but might it still be beneficial to them? I was planning on backing them up in the vocabulary, poetry and writing anyway. What does the hive say? If it matters, they are in 9th and 10th grades but haven't done any serious vocabulary study, no poetry and limited writing. Thanks!

Cheryl, did they say what they were revising in ML 1? I've used that level (just finishing up) and found it sufficient. Is it just a correction edition for typos, etc? Honestly, I wouldn't go back a level with that age and grammar experience. ML1 was about as low as my boys could go - they had a decent grammar background and ML 1 has been more of an overview to solidify what they already have learned - just learning it in a new way and getting it to stick to their teflon brains.

Another idea is to wait for the revision and just work through the poetry and vocabulary for the next 6 weeks. That alone would probably fill up your grammar time slot. The vocabulary has kicked their little behinds!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Cheryl, did they say what they were revising in ML 1? I've used that level (just finishing up) and found it sufficient. Is it just a correction edition for typos, etc? Honestly, I wouldn't go back a level with that age and grammar experience. ML1 was about as low as my boys could go - they had a decent grammar background and ML 1 has been more of an overview to solidify what they already have learned - just learning it in a new way and getting it to stick to their teflon brains.

Another idea is to wait for the revision and just work through the poetry and vocabulary for the next 6 weeks. That alone would probably fill up your grammar time slot. The vocabulary has kicked their little behinds!

Thanks Cynthia! I don't know exactly what they are doing but he did say that MCT was rewriting it, and I'd guess since it's going to be changed to the 3rd Edition instead of just another printing of the current 2nd Edition that it's significant.

I like your 2nd idea (with the addition of writing as they need to back track in it as well)! That was my initial thought but then I wondered if Grammar Voyage would benefit them as well. I guess I'll stick with my first impression.