Menu

ATTENTION: Iowa City, Iowa people

Is there anyone on the board who lives in or around Iowa CIty? If so, then I am going to ask a big question, is it possible for you to drive by a house and scope out the neighborhood. Or if you know the neighborhood could you give me some intell on it? My main question is the neighborhood in a family friendly part of town (read that safe as well as familyish).

The house we are thinkijg of renting is in the Goosetown Neighborhood in the 900 block of East Bloomington St.

This would help ease my mind so much.

Thanks

PM me if you can or know something about the area.

Giving you a bump and a suggestion - look at http://www.city-data.com and drill down to Iowa and Iowa city boards. I've found lots of good advice when moving to a new city from this site and perusing the messages there.

Did a very quick scan of the site and Iowa City doesn't look half bad and Goosetown looks like a "just folks" kind of neighborhood.

Good luck!

Is there anyone on the board who lives in or around Iowa CIty? If so, then I am going to ask a big question, is it possible for you to drive by a house and scope out the neighborhood. Or if you know the neighborhood could you give me some intell on it? My main question is the neighborhood in a family friendly part of town (read that safe as well as familyish).

The house we are thinkijg of renting is in the Goosetown Neighborhood in the 900 block of East Bloomington St.

This would help ease my mind so much.

Thanks

PM me if you can or know something about the area.

I live in Cedar Rapids, and grew up in Iowa City. That part of town has many college kids living in it, although I don't know about that particular block. It is safe, but could be really noisy, depending on your neighbors. I might be able to drive down there tomorrow and take a look around.

Giving you a bump and a suggestion - look at www.city-data.com and drill down to Iowa and Iowa city boards. I've found lots of good advice when moving to a new city from this site and perusing the messages there.

Did a very quick scan of the site and Iowa City doesn't look half bad and Goosetown looks like a "just folks" kind of neighborhood.

Good luck!

Thank you for this site.

This info is very promising.

I live in Cedar Rapids, and grew up in Iowa City. That part of town has many college kids living in it, although I don't know about that particular block. It is safe, but could be really noisy, depending on your neighbors. I might be able to drive down there tomorrow and take a look around.

Noisy is NOT good. I know alot of college type rentals are in and around the university and I want to avoid this type of neighborhood. I am use to living in the back of a neighborhood butted up to a bayou...very little people noise.

Please, if it is not putting you out to much to drive by, this would be GREATLY appreciated, if not tomorrow, another day. THANK you so much for the offer.

I lived in Iowa City for 8 years back in the late 80's and early 90's. I have a good friend who still lives there and can email her to ask about the neighborhood. What I do know is that it is an old neighborhood and some of the houses were pretty cool - vintage style. Unfortunately many of them needed work. Bloomington runs through the downtown area but if I remember correctly it turns much more residential as one travels east.

Iowa City was such a fun city. My dh did his residency and 2 fellowships at the Univ. Iowa Hospitals. I graduated from pharmacy school there and worked at both the UI hospital and the VA hospital. We had our first son there. I loved to catch the Cambus (campus bus) right in front of our home and travel through campus and on to the downtown shopping district. It is a college town - the majority of the population is young. Lots of fun. I remember shopping for Christmas in the downtown walking mall during snow storms bundled up with hat, scarf, mittens, and boots - it just seemed so Christmassy. I have so many good memories of Iowa City. We lived in a little house in Manville Heights so we could walk to work and school.