Menu

Who is using Song School Latin?

scrapbabe

I'm considering this for our 8 year old son (2nd grade). We are doing Latin for Children A with our 11 year old and he is really enjoying it. My 8 year old isn't quite there yet - he thinks it's too hard. I'd like to jumpstart him though and have him be ready in a year or so to do Latin for Children. Those who are using it, are you liking it? Is it too young for 8 year olds? The songs seem like they might be a little babyish. What are your opinions?

Thanks and Smiles,

Shalynn:001_smile:

We're doing it with our 7 year old. He's very much an auditory learner and he loves it. We've done Prima Latina already so we're flying through it. He hasn't mentioned thinking the songs were babyish and I hear him singing them to himself under his breath when doing other things throughout the day.

We're doing most of the workbook orally but he is writing the words out.

Our only complaint so far was finding out that the Ecclesiastical pronunciation has an error in it but we're working around that for now. We may just switch to classical pronunciation so that would solve that.

He enjoyed Prima Latina a lot but he *adores* Song School Latin.

My son is only 6 (and a half, can't forget that!) years old, but he loves Song School Latin. He is a very auditory learner, so the cd is our favorite part. I know it says it is geared for K-3, so honestly I think it would be just fine with your 8 year old. I thought the price was pretty fair, too, so even if it didn't work out, no doubt you could find some one else to buy it on the For Sale thread!

I just ordered it yesterday. (They haven't even shipped it yet!) I started using Prima Latina with my 7.5 and 6.5. They loved it, but when I showed them the samples of SSL they started jumping up and down in excitement!!

I didn't order the Teacher Manual. I don't think that we will need it.

Have you checked out the samples at www.classicalacademicpress.com ?

I ordered it too! Last week. I'll be using it on my 7 yr old, and also possibly on my 5 yr old, I'll have to look through it first to see if its something she can handle.

And I *bought* the teacher's manual because I'm not at all secure in my ability to teach a dead language that I do not even know. :D

What Cadam wrote. :-) It's in the pronunciation guide as a hard g when in Ecclesiastical it can be both hard or soft. BUT, it's also on the CD and they sing it that way.

We're just overlooking it and singing/saying it with the Ecclesiastical.

We've done Prima Latina which I think was wonderful. Both DS and I loved it; the right amount of grammar and number of new words in each lesson. Song School Latin is fun and DS7 is enjoying it. It's a light introduction.

We'll continue on with the Latina Christiana series as they are the best fit for our goals and family, but DS7 needed a bit more time before we moved into it fully (more grammar was what I felt lacking the most). This program is more a filler for us between our main program. He's blazing through it, though, as each lesson usually has only 4 or 5 new words some of which we know already.

We're continuing to review our words from Prima Latina each week as well.