Menu

Voice Recognition software?

ReneeK

Anyone use any voice recognition software with the kiddos who have a hard time writing? The main program I see is Dragon Naturally Speaking. Are there other software? My computer has a voice recoginiton already on it,(Vista) but I am not sure if it would be suitable to use it for a child with speech issues. My concern is that my daughter has severe speech apraxia and would either software work with her speech issues?

I am not to computer illiterate but some programs stump me still. Are they hard to work? Most of all are they worth it or is it just a hassle?

:bigear:

We tried Dragon Naturally Speaking with dd several years ago, so I don't know how much it has evolved; but for a child who talks like the chipmunk on caffeine in the movie Red, it simply did not work. She had to slow down so much, cut down the excited squeals and exclamations, and be so even with modulation and the like, that it took all the pleasure of narration away. I can nearly keep up with her when I type (I was a transcriptionist to pay my way through college), and increasingly she can sustain her writing; so we moved away from the other technology.