Menu

Ecce Romani/Latin question

We are latin drop-outs! Seriously, we used LC for 1 or 2 years, and then Henle I for grade 9. LC was great, Henle was not so great for us (to put it mildly). I realize both dd and I are whole-to-parts learners after reading that recent thread. I am intrigued by Ecce Romani, but not sure what all to order if we go that route.

I don't want to overload dd since she is now taking Spanish, and plans to add American Sign Language at the CC next year, but she would like to try latin again.

Thanks,

Veronica

Ecce Romani takes lots of our time and is expensive. If you aren't planning on doing it a long time, you might want to try something less expensive. Lingua Latina, for example. I don't have enough grammar knowledge to explain the grammar in LL to my children, who need everything explained more than lots of other people seem to, so Ecce Romani suits us better. Someone here said that ER was the worst of two worlds - not enough grammar to be a good grammar based curriculum, and not enough reading to be a good reading based curriculum, but we've found it to be just right. Make sure that if you use it you really memorize the things the author says to learn thoroughily. The student textbook is sold in two forms (as far as I can tell) - 1 (one book) and 1a/1b (two books). You'll need a student book and a teacher's guide. The teacher's guide has the whole student book in it, with teaching suggestions down the side and answers in the back, so in theory, you could just get the teacher's guide, but it is a big floppy paperback and wouldn't hold up to a year's student use, in my opinion. The TG has scheduling suggestions and extra projects and lots of other things in it, too. ER is a rich curriculum, with lots of extra bits like sayings and maps and pictures.

HTH

-Nan

We also purchased the Language Activity Book because dd likes that sort of thing -- it's essentially a bunch of worksheets about the stories in 1A. Alas, you can't purchase answer keys for that or for the tests easily. I haven't tried calling the publisher.

That nipped our interest in it. The books are attractive, and the stories seemed reasonably interesting, though.