Menu

Do you do vocab with the upper levels of Classical Writing?

Kathie in VA

Okay I have one dd in CW Homer A and one ds that will be moving into Homer A next year. They'll be in 7th and 8th grades and schedules are really getting crowded. I always like to estimate expected time per subject or curriculum to see if it will really all fit. It's getting tight. So I'm wondering if I have too much. Since CW Homer seems to also cover vocab, do you also do a separate vocab program or do you consider what is in Homer to be enough? {I'm not sure we will be doing latin, so that can't cover here} And what about after Homer? Do they still do vocab work? If not do you bring it back in as a separate subject?

tia

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using R&S Spelling 7 & 8 along with our CW & Latin studies. These levels focus on Latin & Greek roots, so I consider it more of a vocabulary program. After 8th grade, I don't plan to use a spelling or vocabulary program in our homeschool.

Homer A & B both schedule vocabulary analysis in their student workbooks. Therefore, you could easily streamline vocabulary into CW. It's really a matter of your goals for that year and/or subject. We focus on grammar, so I've dropped science as a formal subject in the junior high years. This allows me to continue R&S Spelling along with the other subjects I have planned for the year. Like you, I don't want to overload my son's 7th grade schedule, so I've had to prioritize his subjects.