Menu

Writing Programs

aawtagg

I have a third grade dd for whom I am researching writing programs. I bought Writing Strands 3 at the begininng of the year, because we are using MFW and that is what they recommend. I decided I wanted to firm up some of her grammar before starting WS, however now that I had time to look through the book I am worried I will have problems helping with/correcting her work. Writing is my weakest point and am nervous about teaching it. I think she will be eager to learn so that shouldn't be a problem, it's just me! I have read Evaluating Writing, but am not sure that is enough.

So I have been looking at other programs and IEW stands out as something that may work well for us, but from what I understand from reading old posts here, is it is best for 5th-6th graders. That would be great considering I have another dd that would be in 3rd/4th then and could tag along working at a slower pace (I think).

I like that WS is written to the student, eventhough I will be there to answer questions, I am often preoccupied with two little ones and appreciate the exercises are self guided.

So now, I am thinking maybe try WS 3 next year, then move to IEW in 5th. Does that make sense? Should I just wait until 5th to do any writing instruction? That seems late. I thought about having her take an online course, but she does not type yet and I wouldn't know where to start. Anything else? We tried FLL and she hated it, so I am leary if WWE would be a good fit. I need something that will hold MY hand and is not teacher intensive as far as prep work.

I think many who don't like FLL do like WWE. It is what I would do for a 3rd grader. Of course if you already working on copywork/dictation and narrations, then you might not need WWE.

I also like Writing Tales. My oldest used it for 4th and 5th, and I think it works great after WWE 3, but many do use it for 3rd too.

Edited by Mallory

I think many who don't like FLL do like WWE. It is what I would do for a 3rd grader. Of course if you already working on copywork/dictation and narrations, then you might not need WWE.

Maybe that was my mistake to not even consider WWE. I am already working on copywork, dictation, and narrartions in MFW. Is there more to WWE than that?