Menu

Latin Centered Curriculum *Especially 2nd grade :)

SonshineLearner

We do:

Daily

Math (Math Mammoth)

Latin (Prima Latina)

Composition (WWE1)

Grammar (FLL) I will likely drop this next year when the Latin grammar begins to get more rigorous. I plan to add some grammar lists and definitions to our memoy work, and hit grammar harder in the Logic years.

3x per week we do History with SOTW2. History is ds's favortive topic so we decided to stick with our old schedule of 3x per week.

we do Science 1-2x per week, but it is faily casual. We are using the WTM rotation but following ds's interests with in the year's area (i.e this year is the earth science/astronomy year but ds choses which topics within this heading we study.) We read library books, watch science videos and do some basic experiments

Literature is once a week and we follow the LCC recs. (Although ds liked the Norse Myths book so much that we read it in our non school time.)

Bible is once a week and we are reading through the Vos Story Bible and memorizing Scriptures and Creeds.

We also do lots of read alouds, and ds reads to me for 10-15 minutes a day. We use the Memoria Press 2nd grade literature recommendations for ds to read aloud and add in other things when we like.

Electives like art and music are experiential right now. We listen to lots of music, and do arts and crafts together as a family. While I do try to consciously make sure these things are done, I don't call it school, and schedule it. We do casual artist studies, I hang and rotate prints by famous artists, we visit museums, etc. But this is all just life, not school.

As you can see, some things have been modified. I have changed materials and cover some topics on a different schedule. I still consider it LCC because of our focus on math, latin and composition, with other topics fitting in around those as time allows. If we have to cut or day short for any reason, I feel comfortable as long as we hit the main three subjects.