Menu

I hate home projects

I hope our addition is done soon. Dh and I spent the evening sanding and restaining seven windows in our addition, the door trim, the floor trim. The contractor did a beautiful job with the granite surround and hearth, but the wood was so bad when he put it up that I broke down and cried. Right there with him. The mantle was gorgeous, the rest was simply awful.

How embarrassing is that? I cried. And blubbered and whined about the expense of it all, how we need to live with it and be happy, and blah, blah, blah. I was absolutely humiliated. I wonder if he ever had a woman cry over his work before? I'm just SO OVER this. I need my house back. And we haven't even started on the kitchen. THAT WILL HAVE TO WAIT.

SIX MONTHS to do an addition. REALLY??!!! I just need this to be over with. He really does excellent work but is slower than slow. And he can't stain wood well.

My muscles are sore and dh is very tired.

Tonight is a night of venting here.

Sorry.

:leaving:

Don't be sorry for venting!

It's going to get worse before it gets better .... do the best you can to stay as organized as you can in your "little piece of heaven" that no contractor can reach:D for a few months..... and when it's all over, send us before and after pictures!

Oh my WORD - it's been 6 months. For one room with a fireplace. I actually feel sorry for the guy - he's soooooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooow. He's very good but I'm not happy with how he's staining wood.

I'm just so embarrassed I have to face him again today. I *hate* it when I get into that spot where I just have to cry and there's no way out.

My story might make you feel better.

Our remodel turned into a tear down and rebuild after we had already put a lot of prep work into the remodel. When we decided to rebuild, my husband, two kids and I tore down the existing part in three days (it was the original 1-1/2 story house and had been added onto). At one point, in order to get into our house, I had to climb a ladder down into the excavated hole for the basement and come through a hole in an existing basement wall. Later, when the addition was up, we had to climb through a window in my bedroom to get into the house.

We are living in a few small rooms while working on wiring, plumbing, insulation, etc. etc. etc. in the new addition, which is two story. We have one bathroom and had to cut the tub in half, practically, in order to make way for the addition. So, my tub/shower has one wall that is plexiglass on plywood, sealed with duct tape so we can still use it.

We went through last winter with little heat since our furnace was not hooked up (all the ductwork had to be ripped out). My kitchen was routinely 44-48 degrees, the upstairs was in the upper 20's. The kids' bedrooms stayed above freezing by keeping their doors closed. They had no electricity.

It has been ONE YEAR and we are finally getting the furnace hooked up. I still have no walls in the addition so the heat, when it is finally turned on, will go right out the ceiling. We are trying to do a lot of the work ourselves since at this point, our house has turned into a huge money suck hole. So, there is no telling when I will get to actually get to live in my house comfortably.

I could go on and on but I just hit the high points. Doesn't this make you feel a little bit better?

My story might make you feel better.

Our remodel turned into a tear down and rebuild after we had already put a lot of prep work into the remodel. When we decided to rebuild, my husband, two kids and I tore down the existing part in three days (it was the original 1-1/2 story house and had been added onto). At one point, in order to get into our house, I had to climb a ladder down into the excavated hole for the basement and come through a hole in an existing basement wall. Later, when the addition was up, we had to climb through a window in my bedroom to get into the house.

We are living in a few small rooms while working on wiring, plumbing, insulation, etc. etc. etc. in the new addition, which is two story. We have one bathroom and had to cut the tub in half, practically, in order to make way for the addition. So, my tub/shower has one wall that is plexiglass on plywood, sealed with duct tape so we can still use it.

We went through last winter with little heat since our furnace was not hooked up (all the ductwork had to be ripped out). My kitchen was routinely 44-48 degrees, the upstairs was in the upper 20's. The kids' bedrooms stayed above freezing by keeping their doors closed. They had no electricity.

It has been ONE YEAR and we are finally getting the furnace hooked up. I still have no walls in the addition so the heat, when it is finally turned on, will go right out the ceiling. We are trying to do a lot of the work ourselves since at this point, our house has turned into a huge money suck hole. So, there is no telling when I will get to actually get to live in my house comfortably.

I could go on and on but I just hit the high points. Doesn't this make you feel a little bit better?

:svengo::svengo::svengo: WOW! I feel SO badly for you!!! I hope your project is over soon!

Honestly, I'm just so embarrassed I have to face this man again after crying. I forgot to mention, I had just gotten back from picking up my son where I learned that he had a loaded gun pointed at him by a "joking" friend. I was a wreck, and the fireplace was just the last straw. I'm just SO mortified and don't want to face him!

"I forgot to mention, I had just gotten back from picking up my son where I learned that he had a loaded gun pointed at him by a "joking" friend."

A loaded gun pointed at your son tops everything. I can not even imagine! I am perimenopausal and there is no telling what I would have done to that kid.

I apologized again today and told him what happened minutes before we discussed my fireplace. I told him that I kept it all together for ds and then let it all go on him and apologized. He seemed fine with it. Poor guy.

I'm still working on finishing all the wood. I've decided it's something I don't like to do.