Menu

Anyone Rescue A Dog that USE....to run away but now doesn't??

Hey Y'all,

I found an adorable dog on Petfinders that was brought in as a stray, but the owner was kinda "outed" and admitted that the dog was just running away. The dog was actually brought in with the mama dog, too. She looks to be about 1.5-2 yrs old... (Just a guess)

This is an adorable terrier and I'm thinking of adopting her. I have the MOST wonderful dog who NEVER runs away. Even if the gate gets left open, he goes and sits on our front step to be "let back in".

He has a good life and I think that he knows it. He's just a great dog, minus that he's tall enough to snatch off the counter.

I "tomato staked him" by keeping him on a leash with me at all times for the first 2 weeks.. and then usually for the next 2 weeks (for a total of 4 weeks.) Part of this was because I have a cat and was nervous that he might hurt her.

This dog I'm looking at has always been left outside, too. BUT, dogs are smart?? I should be able to train her if I do a combo of leash, crate and walking?

Do you all have some good experiences with dogs that you "brought inside and gave some love"??

Thanks!!

Dogs, like people, vary SOO much it is hard to say.

We have had a few different dogs. We pretty much raise our dogs with the same school of thought every time.

We have a few dogs that will bolt out of the door and run, run, and run, until you finally trick them to somehow get in the car, or have a snack they want, or some other form of bribery for them to not run away. We have had other dogs that won't leave your side, and can be trusted to go out into the driveway and just hang out while you do yard work. Our dog now will not run away, even when the wind has blown the front door wide open and we didn't even realize it. Found the door wide open and her just laying there looking out.

We have had a few dogs that will snatch food from your plate, your hand, the table, wherever, the minute you blink. Other dogs know they are not allowed to have it until we say "take it".

Some dogs that are impossible to walk on the leash, more like they are walking you, and some dogs that are a breeze on the leash.

Some dogs that potty train in a few days and are good from then on, and some dogs we could never trust in the house alone.

Some dogs that would constantly get into the trash, , while other dogs know not to touch it even it is right in front of their nose.

Like I said, we started all of them with the same rules and training and attention. (We didn't have all of these dogs at the same time, this has been throughout our married lives). Some of the dogs ended up never learning the right thing, and we have to give to a house that was better suited for them, (ie large fenced in yard for the runner, family with no small children for the food snatcher). I think that it will be difficult for you to break the runner of that habit. Don't expect the dog to be like your current dog.