Menu

Sharing our Success with Phonics Road, Singapore, OPG and Cursive First

Cindyz

Because I'm always interested in how kids do on standardized tests while using various curriculum, I thought I'd share our latest results. My son is almost 6 and is in Kindergarten. He attends an alternative school for homeschoolers through the public school system. They recently administered a standardized test (WIAT-III) for reading, writing, spelling and math.

Below were his scores and where we are in the curriculum.

Reading skills - 97% - Grade Level 1.7 - Lesson 92 in OPG

Math problem solving - 99.7% - Grade level 2.1 - MEP 1B Lesson 86

Alphabet writing fluency 92% - Grade level 1.6 - began Cursive First at the end of September due to very messy handwriting and reversals when printing. She scored him based on his cursive, but asked him to do it with printing as well and he reversed many letters and wrote half as many in the time period showing that early cursive was a very good choice for him.

Numberical Operations 99.8% - Grade level 1.7 - Almost ready to begin Singapore 1B

Spelling - 99.9% - Grade level 2.5 - Phonics Road Week 13

Math would have been higher because she said he told her he didn't know what subtraction was so she didn't try it with him? He knows subtraction, but was probably just tired of the testing.

Once again, thanks to these forums and all of the wonderful things I have learned and suggestions made, I feel great about our progress! :D

Congratulations!

Although, I think his good results are less due to the curriculum, and more due to your involvement and dedication to his education.

That may be. :001_smile: I also think it's a combination of finding what works for his learning style and what I enjoy teaching too.