Menu

Apologia Chemistry & Algebra

We have an opportunity to take Apologia Chemistry at a co-op next year, but my dc will have only completed pre-algebra by then. They will do algebra next year.

Can someone who has had Apologia Chemistry tell me what would be the most difficult algebra problem they would need to figure out so I know what to expect? Or maybe what is the most common algebra equations they would use? I'm wondering if they can do both the same year. Perhaps the most difficult math stuff comes at the end of the year when they have already been through more than half of their algebra???

I read with interest the recent discussion on this subject here, but when I talked to a mom in person she didn't remember it being an issue.

Thanks!

Edited by Evergreen State Sue
I hate when I misspell something in the title! Grrr - Algebra!

The student should be very familiar with the formulas for mass, volume, density, etc. - comfortable solving linear equations with many operations including scientific notation, negative integers, absolute values, exponents, etc. Exposure to the Pythagorean Theorum and Quadratic equations, solving for unknown ratios, and solving linear equations with two variables.

It's not so much even the types of formulas the student as encountered and mastered as it is that algebra teaches a logical approach to solving for unknowns, a logical approach to breaking down the language of story problems and creating the equation from the clues at hand, etc. It's a way of thinking that needs to be mastered. It's also the maturity to handle equations with a huge number of steps. Chemistry problems tend to be rather long, very detailed, and unforgiving! But, IT's SOOOOOOOOOOO COOL!

Faith

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I agree with Faith and just want to add that they must also know how to use unit conversions, scientific notation, and significant digits. The first 2 modules (Module #1 Measurements & Units, Module #2 Energy, Heat, and Temperature) are heavy in math and I don't think a student who has only completed Pre-Algebra would be prepared at all. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear. I'm sure there are some conceptual Chemistry texts that could be done without having first completed Algebra 1 but I don't think Apologia's Chemistry text can be done without having first completed Algebra 1. I've found the prerequisites that Apologia lists for their curriculum to be very accurate.