Menu

Omnibus I...What subjects does this replace?

OK, literature is the obvious, but it seems that it is weaving in history and Bible too...is it complete in these subjects if we do most of the assignments?

amber in ga

(don't post here often because I'm too busy HOMESCHOOLING MY 4 KIDS!!!!:) But try to read and post comments whenever I can...)

ds14, special needs

dd12/7th grade: LC2, R&S English 7, BJU PreAlgebra, Vocab from Classical Roots, etc...

dd9/4th grade: LC2, R&S English 4, Saxon 54, Spelling WKout etc...

ds6/1st grade: MFW 1st

one credit each in literature, history, and theology. In my opinion, it's easy to see where it covers literature and theology, and it does cover history pretty well. However, I would recommend that you read all of the chapters for history listed in Western Civilization, or, if you use Human Odyssey, make sure you read all of those chapters, too. I wouldn't just do the shorter portions of readings that Omnibus suggests. I also personally liked separate testing for the history chapters.

Here are the chapters you would cover in Western Civilization:

1. The Ancient Near East: The First Civilizations

2. The Ancient Near East: Peoples and Empires

3. The Civilization of the Greeks

4. The Hellenistic World

5. The Roman Republic

6. The Roman Empire

Human Odyssey looks about the same:

1. The First Humans

2. The First Civilizations: The Peoples of Western Asia and Egypt

3. The First Civilizations: Ancient India

4. The First Civilizations: Ancient China

5. The Civilization of the Greeks

6. The World of the Romans

You could also possibly cover:

7. The World of the Americas (400 to 1500), since it incorporates some of that time span.

I would definitely say that there's plenty of literature and theology, and I personally would just read entire chapters in history and test on those separately.

HTH!

For primary Bible books, children read Genesis, Exodus, 1/2 Kings, 1/2 Samuel--all in just one week each! The second semester they read Luke/Acts plus Revelation.

Secondary books--first semester--include Chosen by God (2 weeks), Til We have Faces (3 weeks), and Isaiah, Jeremiah, and all the Minor prophets--one week each.

Secondary second semester includes Galatians, Romans, James (1 week each), the Holiness of God and Screwtape Letters (two weeks each).

So there is a lot of Bible!

You only need Vol 1 of LIVES (for some reason I bought both volumes).

History and Lit is mixed since it deals with primary sources. Adding the Spielvogel book gives chron history. Otherwise, you're reading Bible and lit/history simultaneously.

the Narnia books are for fun!

Cathy

You can do any Omnibus; they're not dependent upon each other. Each book has study guide questions. A few have games or essays. The tests and quizzes within each volume will compare/contrast different books or writers but each volume is independent.

Does Omnibus II build on Omnibus I, or could someone do II without having done I?

other, which occasionally shows up in the evaluations or the Summa essays/discussions. Even though we did Omnibus I, we certainly didn't do all of it, so in those cases I just substituted questions. But, that is rare, and you could certainly do Omnibus II or III without having done Omnibus I first.