Menu

Critical Thinking Co - software or books?

Staceyshoe

I'm looking at "Building Thinking Skills" (undecided about whether we'll start in level 1 or level 2). Do you prefer software or books? Why?

I'm leaning toward software, but I want to make sure that ds goes through all the exercises instead of just choosing what is his favorite. Then again, books are more portable and I try to limit computer time. OK, I'm completely undecided.:001_huh: What do you recommend?

I got DD (5th grade) the BTS Level 2 software. It's for grades 4-6 but it seems pretty easy - my second grader could probably do it (at least the beginning exercises!)

There are two modes. Practice and adventure mode. You must progress through all the activities in the adventure mode. You can also set it so they have to get a certain number correct before progressing.

I really don't know how it compares to the workbook except for the samples from the website. I mainly chose it because I wanted something I didn't have to teach or grade. I suspect - there is less work and maybe slightly easier. It looked like there was a lot of writing and explaining answers in the workbooks.

I also use the mindbenders software as oppposed to the books.

I have the software versions for both Building Thinking Skills and Mind Benders in my RR cart right now...I'm :bigear: to hear if anyone has a hard argument for the books.

I'll be honest: We have the books Building Thinking Skills 2 and MindBenders. The reason I like the books is that they are the only things where I feel like, if I have to take ds along with me to something boring (like a drs. appointment), I can have him grab those workbooks and do some work in them while he's waiting for me to be done. I prefer he do his other work at home, where he can focus more.

I always buy software over printed books so that I can cut down on clutter on my bookshelves, print as many copies for my kids that I need, and love that I can transfer to a new computer if need be.

Just to avoid confusion for future readers of this thread - the particular software for Building Thinking Skills is not printable - its set up like a game. I think you can print the mindbender puzzles though.

Just to avoid confusion for future readers of this thread - the particular software for Building Thinking Skills is not printable - its set up like a game. I think you can print the mindbender puzzles though.

:lol: Sorry, I totally had 2 kids pulling on my arms with questions when I typed that. Didn't read it right till now. I usually buy software over book form because my kids are really into games. If I introduce something as a game, there is much less groaning.