Menu

Renting Solar Panels? Anyone done this?

While visiting with friends over the weekend, someone mentioned to me a solar panel rental program:

http://renu.citizenre.com/index.php?c=1168291804

I think it might work for us; we live in a (mostly) sunny place. Really, the reason why we don't have solar yet is because it costs SO much to buy, install, and maintain the panels. This program would take care of all of that, and would lock our energy rates. Hmmmm....

Thoughts?

I know nothing about renting them, we have one, only because it was on the house when we bought it. Dh actually found some information on building them and said that they are very easy to build and cheap. They want to make some for our church. Anyway, if your dh is handy, you might do some research on building them. We love our solar panel and dh wants to put up another one at some point.

Kristine

I know nothing about renting them, we have one, only because it was on the house when we bought it. Dh actually found some information on building them and said that they are very easy to build and cheap. They want to make some for our church. Anyway, if your dh is handy, you might do some research on building them. We love our solar panel and dh wants to put up another one at some point.

Kristine

Really?! Is there a website your DH suggests? I'll do a google search too.

We could start small and try to build one just for the pool to see if it's do-able. My DH is generally not handy, lol. But it depends on how easy the project is, and how much money we could save... sometimes the handiness ability is inspired to make an appearance. ;)

This looks like an awesome program. I can't wait to show dh when he comes home! My only concern is that it's so new. I wish they had a history!

Yeah, the one I linked above is set to start in late 08, I think. But I found a Northern California program very similar to it that is already up and running... my first problem is that I can't find out what the initial deposit is on Sun Run's website.

Renu is advertising a $500 deposit, which isn't too bad, considering the projected long term savings.

Sun Run's website doesn't give an exact amount; we'd have to have a person come out and give us a quote. That makes me think it would be more expensive upfront.

I'll be sure to update after we've looked into it further and have listened to the sales pitches!

(The person I talked to over the weekend lives in Arizona... they have programs up and running there already too. There must be reviews somewhere on the established programs...)