Menu

Cleaning Up Water Leak into Basement and Preventing Mold

Water leaked into our basement from upstairs. I cleaned it all up off the floor but the wooden boards on the ceiling are wet and I assume that it is wet between the upstairs floor and the It is an unfinished basement. Our basement is very dry in general and we have never had a mold problem but I want to prevent any from occuring because my children and I are all severely allergic to mold. Do I need to do anything to clean the ceiling or wil it just dry on its own?

I would contact my insurance company and have a professional company come in and dry out the area. Assuming you have a deductible, the insurance company will let you charge them back for the hours you have already spent cleaning up the water and it may be enough to cover the deductible.

I would contact my insurance company and have a professional company come in and dry out the area. Assuming you have a deductible, the insurance company will let you charge them back for the hours you have already spent cleaning up the water and it may be enough to cover the deductible.

:iagree:This is what happened when we called our insurance company. They sent a service out with the big fans and dehumidifiers and they examined everything to determine what needed to be done to be sure mold didn't form. It was a surprisingly pleasant experience as insurance claims go. They also reimbursed us for the hours we spent cleaning up the mess.

Water damage is something best left to the pros IMHO.

Sorry this happened to you, it is a pain. :grouphug: