Menu

Science for 7th grader interested in Veterinary Med.

GailV

Right now, my 12yo dd is interested in becoming a veterinarian. We also discuss other options in the field of animals, but I've decided to assume that she wants to go for the vet degree.

I'm trying to plot our science trajectory on through high school. And I really don't have a clue, except I know that she'll need plenty of science courses.

Thoughts about where to start and what to use? Every day we decide on something different, it seems. This is driving me nuts.

Secular is definitely okay, and somewhat preferred.

My son (interested in the same) reads tons of books on taking care of animals (he has a reptile, cats, dogs, a bird, and fish)...We studied the zoology books from Apologia in 7th grade, and have done a general science course this year (Rainbow). He'll use Abeka biology (with the DVDs; I'm not about to dissect a fetal pig with him) in 9th, and he can choose chemistry or marine biology in 10th...that's about as far as I've got...

Thoughts about where to start and what to use?

Back in the stone age, when I was in college, vet school was far more competitive than med school ... so I would recommend as rigorous a curriculum as you can manage. Definitely do physical sci before high school, then blast her with AP sci courses if possible. Maybe even go to a local college for chem, etc.

My ds wants to be either a mathematician or a scientist (unspecified), so he will do phys. sci. from a college text for 8th grade, bio for 9th (hopefully AP), physics for 10th, then I hope to send him to the local university for chem in 11th and whatever else in 12th.

Karen