Menu

History and geography ideas prior to using Veritas history program

Mommy of boys

I am wanting some ideas for history and geography. I'm planning to use Veritas Press for history and Bible starting in 2nd grade. This year we are doing K4 and doing very intermediate geography (geography continents and oceans songs and looking at maps and globes about once a week). We are also going through a Bible book from Genesis on.

My thoughts are to do geography for K4 and K5 but I'm not set on a specific program. I'm not sure what to do with 1st grade- states and capitals (we may start in K), American history, state history??? I've even thought of adding some sort of missionary history? I've heard of Galloping the Globe, A Child's Geography and other stuff. Have you used any of these? How to use them- once a week? I know I'm planning very far ahead, but I really like curriculum planning!

Thanks!

The little man saw the icons and wanted me to put this one below

:auto:

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I am using Geo Songs this year with my first grader. The songs are really cute, similar to Songschool Latin IMO.

Last year for states and capitals we read Little Man in the Map. It was great!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I printed off a bunch of blank us maps. First I had him color and find Mim on the maps. While coloring we recited the names of the states that

Made MIM. Then we worked on each section, coloring and labeling and reciting.

You also might try something along the line of Galloping the Globe or Cantering the Country - you study a country or state (I think one every week or two) as a fun unit study. Books, cooking projects, easy crafts, songs, animals, looking at the map or globe, etc. It gives the kids something to "latch" the info on to, while helping understand a bit about geography and culture.

This CD is wonderful!!! We are using VP history this year (via EasyClassical), and I bought Geography Songs to go with it. My boys LOVE it. Honestly, I have these songs going through my head all the time too. :D We have SSL too, and, IMO, the Geography Songs are so much better. Highly recommend them to go with whatever other geography resources you use.