Menu

Question about Math courses for my 9th grader

I started my dd15 out this year with Saxon Math 8/7 with Pre-algebra and MUS Stewardship.

However, she's making A's in everything, and is begging me to let her take on Algebra I even though she hasn't finished Pre-Algebra.

What do you think? She does seem to be understanding it better this year, and is breezing through Math 8/7.

If I did put her in Algebra I, should I continue with Pre-Algebra or drop it? Is it a bad idea? Should we just try it and backtrack if necessary?

Just as a sidenote, when I pulled her out of public school after 6th grade, she was making D's and F's in everything. I backed her up a year in all subjects, and 2 years in grammar. That's why she's just now getting to Grammar 8 and Saxon 8/7.

Her other courses are:

Fundamentals of Literature

Saxon Grammar & Writing 8

SOS World Geography

SOS Integrated Physics & Chemistry

Independent Reading

+ Guitar lessons & basic Music theory

I know this is a fairly light load, which is why I'm thinking of letting her take on the Algebra course if she wants. I think my biggest fear is getting her so bogged down that she loses the momentum she has gained. She has made so much progress since we started homeschooling, that I want to be careful not to fix what isn't broken.

What do you think?

My son was doing Saxon 8/7 last year; he was clearly not challenged and was dying to get to algebra. What we did was have him race through 8/7, eliminating the geometry lessons (will cover that with geometry next year), combining lessons on related topics and reducing the number of practice problems. He finished 8/7 in five months (and yes, for him this was sufficient to master the 8/7 material) and is now very happy about doing algebra. We use AoPS.

Since pre-algebra teaches the skills necessary for algebra, you can't skip it. In order to succeed at algebra, she will need to be proficient at arithmetic with fractions (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) and negative numbers. IMO, that is the crucial pre-algebra skill.

My son was doing Saxon 8/7 last year; he was clearly not challenged and was dying to get to algebra. What we did was have him race through 8/7, eliminating the geometry lessons (will cover that with geometry next year), combining lessons on related topics and reducing the number of practice problems. He finished 8/7 in five months (and yes, for him this was sufficient to master the 8/7 material) and is now very happy about doing algebra. We use AoPS.

Since pre-algebra teaches the skills necessary for algebra, you can't skip it. In order to succeed at algebra, she will need to be proficient at arithmetic with fractions (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) and negative numbers. IMO, that is the crucial pre-algebra skill.

Okay, this is great information (and a great point). It never occurred to me to combine similar lessons. Thank you! :thumbup1:

Another idea is to just give her the Saxon tests. As long as she gets 85 pct or so, let her keep going with the tests. When her score drops, then have her start doing the lessons there. If you notice any pattern in the questions she got wrong, make sure you go to those specific lessons and review so she's solid in all areas.

The last 30 lessons or so in 8/7 pack a lot of new material. If she hasn't had this before, I would recommend doing those lessons and tests at the least. This includes things like graphing equations, slope, etc..

A quick way to assess whether she's ready to skip the book altogether would be to have her take the last two tests in the 8/7. If she does well on those - then go to algebra. :) Saxon also has an online placement test which should give you a good idea of where she's at.

Another idea is to just give her the Saxon tests. As long as she gets 85 pct or so' date=' let her keep going with the tests. When her score drops, then have her start doing the lessons there. If you notice any pattern in the questions she got wrong, make sure you go to those specific lessons and review so she's solid in all areas.

The last 30 lessons or so in 8/7 pack a lot of new material. If she hasn't had this before, I would recommend doing those lessons and tests at the least. This includes things like graphing equations, slope, etc..

A quick way to assess whether she's ready to skip the book altogether would be to have her take the last two tests in the 8/7. If she does well on those - then go to algebra. :) Saxon also has an online placement test which should give you a good idea of where she's at.[/quote']

Great suggestions!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :hurray: