Menu

Rod & Staff Grammar Grade 7 - HELP

Tanya in KS

Okay.. I thought I was very good at grammar but this book is even kicking my butt...We are on lesson 30 - substantives...I am really needing a something else to help my daughter grasp this concept..something with more practice - I thought of ordering Abeka grade 7 grammar. Anyone have any great websites for extra practice???

Thanks!

I hear you on this...it's challenging. While I don't have any resources for extra practice, what I gleaned from the lesson on substantives is that it's basically just the name or term for any word or phrase acting as a noun in a sentence. To me it was just a definition lesson. So nouns, noun phrases, clauses, etc are all substantives, if I understood it correctly.

Do you have the R&S worksheets? They are good for extra practice.

I had to get my daughter to explain it to me. :lol:

I hear you on this...it's challenging. While I don't have any resources for extra practice, what I gleaned from the lesson on substantives is that it's basically just the name or term for any word or phrase acting as a noun in a sentence. To me it was just a definition lesson. So nouns, noun phrases, clauses, etc are all substantives, if I understood it correctly.

Do you have the R&S worksheets? They are good for extra practice.

I had to get my daughter to explain it to me. :lol:

Hey, Amy - you are right! Anything that is functioning as a "noun" in the sentence (subject, DO, IO, Object of a preposition) is a substantive - whether it is a single word, a phrase, or a clause.

And, yes, R&S-7 is one hard, tough book!!! It is harder, grammar-wise (IMO) than the 8th grade book. So, take it SLOWLY!! And, do every review available. The oral reviews in the Teacher's Book, and the Reviews at the end of the Lessons as well. We did Lesson 29 today, and we'll be re-doing it tomorrow because I know it just didn't quite click as well as it needed to. One good thing about R&S is there are *always* enough problems to save some for another day. ;)

Today I even contemplated having my 10th-grader re-do R&S-7 'cause I guarantee you he doesn't remember half of it! LOL! I really wish I hadn't worried about trying to finish it in one year with him.