Menu

Math night at school

Guest annalyta

Guest annalyta

My district recently adopted new curriculum (TERC for K and 1st, and Math Expressions for 2-5). The other districts in the area all adopted Everyday Math. There is also a big focus on Cognitively Guided Instruction.

I have seen presentations on cognitively guided instruction and on the face of it I don't have a problem with it. However, since it is being presented by people that chose TERC as a curriculum I am very nervous. I haven't been about to find a lot of information on Math Expressions. Does anyone have an experience with this?

My school is going to have the math curriculum director come and speak in about a month. I am curious what questions I should ask, or if I should just be quiet. I am also wondering if there are specific critiques or articles I should reference.

We personally use Singapore Math at home to supplement. She is also very far ahead of the classroom curriculum, so I'm not that worried about her, but the other students.

I've heard some about cognitively guided instruction in math at our school, too. To be truthful, I don't know what it is. We have Everyday Math.

As you said, you aren't worried about your dd, but about the other students. Yes, I feel similarly as my kids do well with EM but some really struggle.

My district recently adopted new curriculum (TERC for K and 1st, and Math Expressions for 2-5). The other districts in the area all adopted Everyday Math. There is also a big focus on Cognitively Guided Instruction.

I have seen presentations on cognitively guided instruction and on the face of it I don't have a problem with it. However, since it is being presented by people that chose TERC as a curriculum I am very nervous. I haven't been about to find a lot of information on Math Expressions. Does anyone have an experience with this?

My school is going to have the math curriculum director come and speak in about a month. I am curious what questions I should ask, or if I should just be quiet. I am also wondering if there are specific critiques or articles I should reference.

We personally use Singapore Math at home to supplement. She is also very far ahead of the classroom curriculum, so I'm not that worried about her, but the other students.

Ask them to explain the differences between TERC and Singapore Math (to see if they understand what they are -- don't assume they do), and why TERC was chosen over others.

Ask them if they have proof that TERC will prepare a child well for a math-intensive major in college and if they could supply that proof to parents.

Here's an older article (Sept. 2006) from the WSJ that might interest you:

http://www.worcester.edu/SMIP/Shared%20Documents/Archive/wsj_math_09_12_06.pdf

You might also want to check out the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics website:

http://www.nctm.org/

Liping Ma's book would be excellent to use as a reference. Amazon link here.

You realize that by asking these questions, you might be labeled *that PITA parent.* :D Do you want to go that route? Are the administrators receptive to parental input? It's honorable, but IME, it did nothing effective for us. The deciders of curriculum had made up their minds. My beef with our school is that it is incredibly difficult to find out what they use to teach and if it's even used. Urg! Anyway, in our area, kids who do very well in math are often doing another program at home in addition to the one being taught in school.

We began Singapore Math in second grade (because school used EM which I found convoluted) eventually moving on to Art of Problem Solving. I am very open to inquiring parents and open-minded teachers who want to know what we do. Anyone who would like to see books or schedules may.

Another way to help other students would be to start a math club. You wouldn't need to be affiliated with the school, and in that way, you could use the material you and other parents prefer.

Good luck.

Edited by MBM
fixing a typo

Guest melbusby

My school just changed from Everyday Math to Math Investigations. They are very much the same "new new math". My 3rd grader is not being taught to borrow in subtraction, etc. They jump around all over the place. My son is advanced and is not having much trouble, but I "after school" teach him math. Not this crazy way. I want concrete proof that this works. I can't find any. Many districts have gone this route and dropped it later. Do all districts have to learn the hard way? I don't think this type of math can really prepare a student for advanced math. I have a business degree and my husband is an engineer and we both dislike this "new" math. We are having a school wide "math night" on Thursday and I am really wondering if I can even attend without driving the admin. crazy with all my questions. :)

You might also want to check out the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics website:

http://www.nctm.org/

Keep in mind, however, that NCTM has been instrumental in installing "new math" curricula in school districts across the nation.

You realize that by asking these questions, you might be labeled *that PITA parent.* :D Do you want to go that route? Are the administrators receptive to parental input? It's honorable, but IME, it did nothing effective for us. The deciders of curriculum had made up their minds.

It is true that the decision has been made and you won't change it now. To be influential in the decision making process takes dedication, determination, and a strong constitution. A friend of mine just served on a curriculum adoption committee of parents, teachers, and professors (mostly teachers and professors) to choose our new high school math curriculum. They don't make it easy for parents to be involved.

However, asking your questions in public (in a very inquiring and non-confrontational way, of course) will potentially alert other parents to the deficiencies of these programs and let the powers that be know that you're paying attention. If nothing else, you may make some more timid parents feel that they're not alone. I say ask, but don't drill.

Another way to help other students would be to start a math club. You wouldn't need to be affiliated with the school, and in that way, you could use the material you and other parents prefer.

This is such a fabulous idea! However, that same friend of mine tried and tried to start one such after school program at our elementary school and was blocked by the principal and district administrators at every turn! She was up front about her intention to focus on arithmetic and traditional math methods, and they found every possible reason (and even some that were completely made up, if you ask me!) that she couldn't hold a math club after school. It's ok with them if she runs the chess club after school, though. :banghead:

[breann in WA]Keep in mind, however, that NCTM has been instrumental in installing "new math" curricula in school districts across the nation.

NCTM recommends new math programs currently? I don't follow them too closely anymore and am referring to Francis Fennell's suggestion to move more along the lines of Singapore, but that was back in fall of 2006. Possibly old news by now.

It is true that the decision has been made and you won't change it now. To be influential in the decision making process takes dedication, determination, and a strong constitution. A friend of mine just served on a curriculum adoption committee of parents, teachers, and professors (mostly teachers and professors) to choose our new high school math curriculum. They don't make it easy for parents to be involved.

However, asking your questions in public (in a very inquiring and non-confrontational way, of course) will potentially alert other parents to the deficiencies of these programs and let the powers that be know that you're paying attention. If nothing else, you may make some more timid parents feel that they're not alone. I say ask, but don't drill.

Our district had numerous parents, teachers, professors of math, newspaper and TV reporters... and yet, nothing came of it. For whatever reason, they stuck with their decision. But who knows? It's certainly worth a try.

I opted to move my youngest to a different school that offered what we liked. It wasn't perfect, but the math was more what we liked.

This is such a fabulous idea! However, that same friend of mine tried and tried to start one such after school program at our elementary school and was blocked by the principal and district administrators at every turn! She was up front about her intention to focus on arithmetic and traditional math methods, and they found every possible reason (and even some that were completely made up, if you ask me!) that she couldn't hold a math club after school. It's ok with them if she runs the chess club after school, though. :banghead:

She should just do it on her own without involving the school. My husband and I run our school's math club at our local library. It's worked out well.

Well, good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'm happy with what we've exerienced in high school so far. Could it be I won't have anything to complain about? What will I do then?! :D

She should just do it on her own without involving the school. My husband and I run our school's math club at our local library. It's worked out well.

Can you tell me more about how you do that? How do you attract kids to the club? Does the school allow you to send notices home? We considered the public library, of course, but we doubted many of our kids would meet in an off-site location.

Can you tell me more about how you do that? How do you attract kids to the club? Does the school allow you to send notices home? We considered the public library, of course, but we doubted many of our kids would meet in an off-site location.

Just call or send something to families you think might be interested. Don't involve the school.

If families aren't interested, there's not much you can do to form a club.