Menu

Help me name this course

With dd transferring to ps in Feb, I need to name courses to fit their credit schedule. Dd has decided she wants to major in math in college/university with a minor in science. I think this is much better for her than majoring in science since she is much better at thinking up things in math than in designing her own experiments. In fact, she has never once designed an experiment & balks at it. I am going to have her do one this semester, though, so I can call this Honours Biology. I'm already adding probing questions to some of the labs, etc, and can easily beef up what we're doing.

Logic. This is the tough one that would be much more acceptable to many post secondary institutions. Their arts & humanities dept is really just arts, but I think it would fit best under humanities. I want to call the 2 courses Humanities I & II or something like that. Do you think this might work? This semester her writing tutor is having her study ads & the motiviation/techniques used (to help her with her writing, thinking, etc, she's doing TL II & she's going to listen to the Argumentation lecures from the TC company once she's finished the PSAT. There is nothing like this at their school, and not even a course called humanities.

Does she need for these courses to count for credit at the high school? If not, could you then just prepare a homeschool transcript to submit to colleges along with the one from her high school? Then you could name it as what it actually is, which I think is better than humanities too. It's too bad great courses like that need to fit neatly inside one of their boxes in order to count for credit.

Karin in doing some googling, I found that it looks like Humanities I an II might be very good descriptions for what she's done. Humanities does include logic and critical thinking, etc..

Here's one description of Humanities from the Univ of Fl site:

Humanities (H)

Humanities courses provide instruction in the key themes, principles and terminology of a humanities discipline. Your courses focus on the history, theory and methodologies used within that discipline, enabling you to identify and to analyze the key elements, biases and influences that shape thought. These courses emphasize clear and effective analysis and approach issues and problems from multiple perspectives.

Karin in doing some googling' date=' I found that it looks like Humanities I an II might be very good descriptions for what she's done. Humanities does include logic and critical thinking, etc..

Here's one description of Humanities from the Univ of Fl site:

[b']Humanities (H)[/b]

Humanities courses provide instruction in the key themes, principles and terminology of a humanities discipline. Your courses focus on the history, theory and methodologies used within that discipline, enabling you to identify and to analyze the key elements, biases and influences that shape thought. These courses emphasize clear and effective analysis and approach issues and problems from multiple perspectives.

Thanks! That's more specific than the definition I found. She will need any credits she can get from homeschooling because she plans to graduate from ps at this point, and she'll need to meet their criteria. That said, I do plan to send my own transcript to colleges she applies to along with course descriptions for any course she did at home.

Edited by Karin

Have you checked the school's business classes? It sounds like it could qualify for Marketing or Business Communications - something along those lines.

Thanks. The ad thing is only for a week or so, and is more geared to her critical & logical thinking skills than to business. I want to add that to her Logic II course description since this writing class is not part of any of her current courses. This semester shes doing Algebra II, Logic II, German II & Biology. Since Logic II isn't a full year course (their courses are compressed at the local school so that 1 semester gives you full credit--eg Algebra I is a 1 semester course) I have been adding things to fill it out.