Menu

Michel Thomas language

min

Other than his accent, I like Michel Thomas. It really helped me understand the grammar by using it. I don't remember the usual "how to by alcohol and get a date" sections. That said, I haven't tried it with the kids, but I should.

I think any pre-teen and up could handle it (be sure to add lots of listening to native speakers - the version I had Michel himself taught, and he is not native). I think an 8-10 year old could go through with help (at least the basic course).

I'd love to hear if someone has tried this.

Amy

Amy, thanks. I downloaded a sampler of the language we're looking at and it is a native speaker. Do you remember if you did the Foundation or also the Advanced?

My intention is to use it as a curriculum choice during a long (3 month) road trip. From the sampler (the first bits of it, plus an explanation) it sounds as though I could have it on the iPod, and pause it while we all (the kids and I) go through each answer. DH will be driving! He already speaks this language.

It looks as though it is about 8 hours of audio for the foundation program. Ideally we'd have got through it all in about 6 weeks - do you think that would be feasible? If not, that's okay, we can start it prior to the trip. We're meeting family members whose children speak that language, and that will provide us with the incentive to get through the program.

Thanks

Min