Menu

The Reading Lesson and Reading Made Easy

Marsha

Hopefully you will get some input from other, more experienced, HSers, but here's my 2 cents.

I chose The Reading Lesson because the pages were clean and uncluttered. The font size for mommy (which is minimal) is small and the font size for the reader is larger and obvious. We are really enjoying it. It's straight forward, easy, and open and go.

I like how Reading Made Easy scripts things out for you, but it just seemed to make things overly complicated to me. But my kids have both picked up reading very easily. If I have someone that struggles, then I might have to look for something that is more verbose in the instructions.

HTH...if not, at least I can bump you back up to the top! :001_smile:

I chose "The Reading Lesson" for the same reasons as mom24boys. It worked well with my older daughter and I am currently using it with my younger daughter.

That said, I checked out a copy of "Reading Made Easy" from the library to get a feel for it, and I incorporated several of the activities from RME with TRL.

I haven't used The Reading Lesson. When I looked at samples, the one thing that kinda turned me off was the font for the a and g (this is just a personal thing with me). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Reading Made Easy and so does my daughter. We got the activity books too (at CBD with my free shipping code), which are not necessary but definitely a nice addition. I don't feel it's complicated at all....it truly is very easy. Wish I had known about this book years ago teaching my other kids to read.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't used The Reading Lesson. When I looked at samples, the one thing that kinda turned me off was the font for the a and g (this is just a personal thing with me). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Reading Made Easy and so does my daughter. We got the activity books too (at CBD with my free shipping code), which are not necessary but definitely a nice addition. I don't feel it's complicated at all....it truly is very easy. Wish I had known about this book years ago teaching my other kids to read.

Can you tell me more about what methods Reading Made Easy is based upon? I'm trying to compare phonics programs and so far I understand that some are based on the 'Spalding' method, some don't like to emphasize sight words etc... What method does RME compare to?

Thanks. :)