Menu

Memoria Press Writer's Workshop- what do you think of it?

My son really needs help with writing. I have him taking Memoria Press's Writer's Workshop. It is starting out VERY slow. Anyone used it? Thoughts on it? Appropriate for a 9th grader? He hates writing, so I want to have someone else teach him, so he won't complain/argue to me about it and so he'll learn to write!

Uh oh. I don't see any replies. Has anyone used this? I'm getting a little nervous because the class is starting REALLY slow. I spoke with the instructor who, I think, has an incredible bio and assured me that this is appropriate for a 9th grader for his writing portion of English. But, I doubt that he has any idea what a 9th grade writing class should include as he is not a homeschooler nor a teacher.

Uh oh. I don't see any replies. Has anyone used this? I'm getting a little nervous because the class is starting REALLY slow. I spoke with the instructor who, I think, has an incredible bio and assured me that this is appropriate for a 9th grader for his writing portion of English. But, I doubt that he has any idea what a 9th grade writing class should include as he is not a homeschooler nor a teacher.

I have not used that exact class, so I hesitate to answer.

My older DS has taken the Latin I "Camp" and Latin II from Memoria Press in the past, and has excelled. I think their program is a wonderful blending of academic excellence and grace. Although, I admit it requires parental supervision. ;)

This year the same DS is in 10th grade, and he is doing Latin 3 and the Lost Tools of Writing I class. It, too, is starting slowly. And, it feels even slower since we started our "at home" classes in August, and Memoria Press didn't start their classes until after Labor Day.

BUT - I did the IEW SWI-C with my DS last year and it, too, was very slow at the beginning. I guess my thought is that, especially with a man-child who doesn't really like writing, slower is probably best. My own DS says he can see where the Lost Tools teacher is headed, and that it's going to get very voluminous, very quickly. Maybe the Writer's Workshop class is the same? After all, they just had the third class today!

I have been looking forward to putting my now-7th grader into the Writer's Workshop class when he's in 9th grade. The teacher's resume on the MP website says he's been teaching writing for 20 years. Though some of that may have been teaching future-teachers "how to teach writing", I don't see any reason to doubt his qualifications at all.

HTH!

Well, that makes me feel better that you are thinking of putting a 9th grader in the Writer's Workshop. The instructor thought it was ok, but I don't think selecting the appropriate writing class for high schoolers is really his forte. Yes, he has a great Bio. He writes for Hillsdale College, so I am comfortable with his knowledge and ability. I'm just wondering if this is going to be enough for a 9th grader who hates writing and hardly writes at all. Then again, maybe it will be the best thing for him. I am also glad to see that you have your 10th grader in Lost Tools. I looked at that, but it seemed to be a higher level than where my son is at right now. I'm so thankful you replied.

I'm wondering if I should add Writing Strands so that I feel my son is progressing in writing. Really, though, if I do that, I didn't need to to the Writer's Workshop too.

I'm sorry I haven't responded back - I'm not on the board every day.

If I were going to add in writing, what I would do is add in writing assignments to history and literature, and maybe science. I would re-use the assignment structures given in the Writer's Workshop class for those assignments.

So, I'm just guessing here ~ but if the class covers how to write a descriptive paragraph, then have your DS write a descriptive paragraph in literature (he could describe a character or a setting or an item which became symbolic of the theme). On another day, he could describe something in science.

But, I would have him re-use whatever techniques he learned in the Writer's Workshop class in writing those cross-curricular assignments. That practice will make it seem easy, and that will build confidence.

(Although, if your DS already knows how to structures paragraphs and essays well, then you might want to ask about moving him into the Lost Tools class. I don't think it's too late. You might try talking to the Lost Tools teacher to see what her opinion is on the best fit for your DS, too.)