Menu

Math advice PLEASE...

A few questions

#1 Can someone check out http://homeschool.kineticbooks.com/geometry.php and tell me what you think about their Geometry course? I am thinking about using this with ds. We are currently using Saxon Alg II and he is having a tough time with the Geometry part of the course. I thought that I would drop Saxon for now and let him do Geometry and Alg II--next yr. with them. I am hoping they will come out with another math by the time he finishes with Alg II.

#2 I already own Teaching Textbook Geometry-- I used it with oldest ds, but he finished all of Saxon Alg 1, Alg II and Advanced Math, so I know he got more Geometry. What are your thoughts on this TT Geometry? Hear are my thoughts let ds use TT Geometry and just sign him up for Kinetic Alg II, then move to Saxon Advanced Math afterward and skip the Geometry in Advanced Math.

#3 Does it matter if we do Geometry or Alg II first? If I go with Kinetic Books Geometry then I will definitely do it this year, but if I stay with TT Geometry I am thinking about going with Alg II this year--I would like to take advantage of the sale.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
#3 Does it matter if we do Geometry or Alg II first? If I go with Kinetic Books Geometry then I will definitely do it this year, but if I stay with TT Geometry I am thinking about going with Alg II this year--I would like to take advantage of the sale.

There are many companies (LoF, AoPS, TT are some I know of) that feel Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry is the preferred sequence because they feel the child needs to be more mature before taking Geometry. We are doing this sequence and are currently in Algebra 2. The only problem I can think of is if the child isn't far enough in math to have Geometry completed by the PSAT in 11th grade. If this was going to be an issue for us I'd do Algebra 2 and Geometry at the same time. The child will also need to review Algebra 2 while taking Geometry so they don't forget it by the time they get to Pre-Calculus. We use LoF to supplement our main curriculum and do so about a year behind so while we are doing Geometry we'll also be doing LoF Advanced Algebra for review/expanded learning.

My dd would have never been able to do Algebra 2 after Algebra 1. Geometry is better between the two IMHO. And, Algebra 2 leads into Precalculus.

Geometry leads very well into PreCalculus as well, particularly the Trigonometric functions. :)

Lots of schools are using the Algebra 1/Algebra 2 approach. Then Geometry is taught "algebraically" in the lead in, and developed more toward proof in the middle of the year, ending up with lots of work with trigonometry, and setting the stage for PreCalculus.

Lori (who still hasn't decided what I will teach next year to my 9th graders! LOL!)