Menu

BJU Chemistry

Tell me how and what I need to do in order to be able to use this material at home, not satellite, dvds or anything?

I would get the Lab kit from Quality Science Labs.

I just want to know if it would work. I have the books, just thought to use them instead of buying another curr., but if is not suitable for us (due the fact that I never did take Chemistry in HS), what your suggestions would be?

:confused: To me, BJU books is like any other textbook.

Tell me how and what I need to do in order to be able to use this material at home, not satellite, dvds or anything?

Hi!

I own BJUP's current edition of Chemistry, as well as Apologia, Merrill, and several of Zumdahl's titles. However, I've never actually used BJUP Chemistry with my kids.

I wasn't entirely sure what you meant by the above, but I'm taking it to mean that you would like comments on using BJUP without the DVD's or satellite program. If I misunderstood, please accept my apologies!

I would get the Lab kit from Quality Science Labs.

I'm afraid I can't comment on this lab kit, having never used any materials from this company.

I just want to know if it would work.

There are a lot of variables that would determine the answer to this question. One general variable is math: For a solid, college-prep chemistry program (in which category I would include BJUP), students HAVE to have a solid grasp of algebra. Just algebra 1 would be fine, but they can't be taking it at the same time that they're taking chemistry; they need to have completed algebra 1.

Another variable is: What resources does the student have if s/he doesn't understand the content? If you, as the teaching parent, don't have any previous chemistry experience, are you willing to go through the text with your child and wrestle out the solution to his/her difficulty?

I have the books, just thought to use them instead of buying another curr., but if is not suitable for us (due the fact that I never did take Chemistry in HS), what your suggestions would be?

My usual favorite chemistry text for families who have no chemistry background is Apologia. Its explanations tend to be more complete and detailed than BJUP's. However, the downside to that is that the breadth and depth of Apologia are somewhat less than that of BJUP (unless the student also completes Apologia's Advanced Chemistry).

I'll probably be using Zumdahl for chemistry with my last child in the fall. Zumdahl's breadth and depth is comparable to BJUP's (if not more), but I like his explanations better. (BTW, I'm not talking about Zumdahl's Chemistry, which is a thick textbook for college science majors, but his Introductory Chemistry: A Foundation.)

However, BJUP's labs are better than either Zumdahl's or Apologia's. An added plus to BJUP is that they actually have two, somewhat different, lab manuals: one for large-ish traditional schools (i.e., schools with lots of lab equipment) and one for small schools or homeschools, so the equipment requirements are not as large.

JMHO, but HTH!

Hi TeachMom3

Thanks for your reply.

I do plan to study the Chemistry along with her, why miss the chance to learn it?

I did find a set of lectures that correlate with BJU, eventhough they are not sold by BJU. Something DIVE lessons. They are in the process of adding to the lectures procedures for the student to learn and prepare to take the CLEP examination at the end of the course. Is not a few weeks prep, this program begins when the course begins. I was very impressed with it and think that this is the way we will go.

We still have time, so by then....who knows what changes had come about.

Thanks for your time and thorough reply, I really appreciate it.