Menu

Does anyone have a grammar and/or language arts quick reference sheet?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I'm looking for a quick reference sheet for grammar, punctuation and other common language arts rules. Something I can laminate would be good and at the elementary level would be perfect. I didn't love one I found on Amazon and the RR catalog is too big for me to try without consulting the hive-mind first. :tongue_smilie:

:bigear:

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Thanks. Sadly, that's more advanced than I need for now.

I'm wondering if the stuff I want on the sheet is too elementary (stuff like remembering to write in lowercase unless starting a sentence or for a proper noun, leaving a space between each word, moving long words to the next line instead of just splitting them in 2--or 3 as the case may be! :001_huh:). My kids love to write and have been bringing stuff to me non-stop. I just hate to correct them when it's not for school. (This wouldn't be a big deal to me but for the fact that DS7 is such a perfectionist and gets incredibly hurt feelings. The other day he made a color wheel and wrote the names of all the colors. He was so proud. But when he found out he spelled yellow wrong--the only one he got wrong!--he just erased all the names and walked away. It's not a bad attitude; he was truly embarrassed. :crying:)

I don't want them to form bad habits though. Stuff from WWE and all their reading must not be transferring to their "real-life" writing yet. I am making them a writing center and thought I would look for a cheat sheet to put on the bulletin board. Now I'm tempted to make my own, in all my spare time. :001_rolleyes: Hmmm. I might just take FLL/WWE and make a bright letter-sized poster for them. Thinking out loud...

A different idea--what if you have your kids make a mini-office instead? You can laminate it when you're done if you want. This way they get some reinforcement in remembering some of the rules because they make it (with your help as needed), and you can customize it to include whatever you want. We made mini offices a few years ago & the kids referred to them quite a bit. My son got rid of his this year (guess he outgrew it, sniff, sniff!) but dd still keeps hers in her math drawer.

Merry :-)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
A different idea--what if you have your kids make a mini-office instead? You can laminate it when you're done if you want. This way they get some reinforcement in remembering some of the rules because they make it (with your help as needed), and you can customize it to include whatever you want. We made mini offices a few years ago & the kids referred to them quite a bit. My son got rid of his this year (guess he outgrew it, sniff, sniff!) but dd still keeps hers in her math drawer.

Merry :-)

Thanks for blog link. I love the COPS thing. That's the kind of reminder I would like the kids to have in their heads. I do the kids would like this. Hmmm. Maybe instead of just setting them up with the writing center, I should involve them in making up their own rule books like a mini office. Wheels are turning... :001_smile: