Menu

Is anyone familiar with Theseus Critical Thinking Software?

Guest Buildingblocks

Guest Buildingblocks

I just discovered this: http://www.skymark.com/Theseus/overview.asp

I am hoping to use it with my underacheiving 16yos. He is definitely a big picture, no fluff, get down to it kinda kid. Long story, but our plan right now is to focus on skills over content for time's sake, get him ready for Commuity College technical program and a GED. I see this software as a tool to get his writing and reading up to snuff.

Has anyone used it? Played with it? I'd like to go through the built in excersizes, and then use it for speech/debate and history/lit... and wherever else it fits. Reading, writing, and math.... the rest is going to have to be gravy.

ETA: I used to hang out here before the new boards, but since my HSer imploded on me I've just been lurking. I may have been Julie B in WA back then...

Guest Buildingblocks

<bump>

I really am excited about this. Check it out, please- it made Cathy Duffy's 100, and I've never heard about it before now. It looks like a great tool for learning to organize more complex papers/speeches, and includes some excellent prompts.

Thanks!

Well it doesn't seem like anyone has tried it. Have you shown it to your son? Did he seem interested? Maybe your best bet is to pick a few writing sources and ask him which he thinks would help him the most,(and cause the least amount of pain:D)

Looking at the site, I was unsure. I saw one introductory lesson, but I couldn't see enough to see how it would work.

Cedarmom

Guest Buildingblocks

He read through the info on the site and seemed to lke it- you just never know with him. His confidence is so low that he is not going to jump up and down. He did prefer it over the IEW (recognizing that they are very different things). He likes the visual structure, and the bridge over 'blank page-itis'. Once he has structure, style comes easily to him.

I showed it to hubby, and he is willing to take the plunge. Our next oldest likes the idea of it, and I'm planning on running her through it and using it for writing and speech/debate that we will be starting next year.

I hate spending money!

Guest Double D

Here's my take, right or wrong-

I've used the software and its original to varying degrees for probably 5 years now. The "positives" far outweigh the "drawbacks", and I'd recommend it with some things to consider-

Positives

• Easy to use. I think that would be true for most teenagers, too.
  • In some ways, it could be fun to use, depending on how much fun you make "teaching" it. I'm an adult, and I use it for writing and planning presentations. I like "moving thoughts around" to see where they seem to "fit" best, depending on my audience and material. That would be my suggested approach if you're using to help kids learn. Right now, I'm using it for a corporate traning project, and though I could do an excellent job without Theseus, I know it will be much better thanks to using it.
  • Even if you don't use it for its "critical thinking" helpfulness, the assistance with putting "organization" and "clarity" to material is worthwhile alone. True, I can use my word processing or spreadsheet software for this, Theseus is better/faster/easier, in my opinion. I tried it with my other software. Theseus saves me time.
  • I use it to export to my word processing software, and that's a nice feature that works well
  • Everyone has his/her opinion, but I think it's priced well. Seeing as how you could be using the program for decades....if a person has any plans to continue with writing, it's money very well spent. Wish I had it long before.
  • It beats pen and paper because--

• I spill stuff on tablets all the time. I've never spilled anything on my monitor (though, maybe your kids have. :) )

• Things get up and walk away on me every once in a while. With Theseus, I can save it.

• Paper and ink gets messy if you write enough on them. Then you have to "remember" what you meant.

• It's easy to export from Theseus to word processing software. It's hard to do that with tablet and ink

• Tablets don't ask me questions...or other things that might help me. Theseus "does things" that help act as a guide.
  • I rate the company's support very good.

Items to consider

• Though easy to use- you might not even "need" the User's Guide; it is very helpful. However, I would recommend that an adult go through it first, then "tweak" the examples to make them more "fun", for lack of a better term. For example, if you can show your child how "moving thoughts around" might help him/her prepare more than one "paper", it might help them like using it even more.
  • If he's only going to use it a few times, then I'd probably suggest not using it.....Chances are, though, that he will.
  • There are certain things I haven't been able to do just yet...I think "bolding" certain words might be one, for example. I can live with that, though, because I know I can bold individual words using word processing software. I dnk whether that's a "software" issue...or a "user" issue.
  • If you haven't done it yet, I think they give you a week to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Buildingblocks have you had a chance to check it out yet? I just recently came across this as well, and am - of course - curious. I'm surprised to see this was the only discussion about it. (on the new board anyway)

Double D, thanks for your comments! I was considering using this for ds who isn't the greatest at organizing his thoughts. I'll have to do some more looking to see what I can dig up about it.

Guest Buildingblocks

.... and my son is thrilled with it. We like the lessons so far, and he is really looking forward to using it for writing papers. He has always struggled more with organization than style, and this approach makes more sense to him than outlines do. It has been a very long time since I have seen this much enthusiasm from him regarding curricula.

My daughter is also looking forward to using it for debate. That won't start for a while yet, but I really lke the fact that this tool will be available.

Also, it isn't very clear on the website, but if you download the program, there is a one week free trial.

Julie