Menu

CKE Earth & Space Speleothem Experiment

Tam101

Has anyone had any luck with this experiment? We set up it 3-days ago and so far nothing, but a crusty/crystallized piece of yarn. I followed the directions perfectly; we were able to dissolve close to 3lbs of Epsom salt in the 4-cups of water. I looked up another experiment that was almost identical and it recommended putting food coloring in the water to better see the development of the crystals, but still nothing. Just wondering if it is us or is the experiment just a bust?

This is why I hate science! I want my son to enjoy it, but when we can't get these experiments to work it takes all the fun out of it. :(

I haven't tried the experiment, but that is some of the "fun" of science. A lot of experiments or hypotheses don't work. Science is all about trying to figure out why something does or doesn't work. I would try it again, but with a different brand of whatever ingredients you needed.

BTW, other than this, have you enjoyed the curriculum? I was considering it for ds next year. He has did mostly chemistry and physics stuff last year and we're doing life science this year. I haven't used CKE yet because I thought he was probably too young, but he'll be in 3rd grade next year.

I haven't tried the experiment, but that is some of the "fun" of science. A lot of experiments or hypotheses don't work. Science is all about trying to figure out why something does or doesn't work. I would try it again, but with a different brand of whatever ingredients you needed.

BTW, other than this, have you enjoyed the curriculum? I was considering it for ds next year. He has did mostly chemistry and physics stuff last year and we're doing life science this year. I haven't used CKE yet because I thought he was probably too young, but he'll be in 3rd grade next year.

This is the first science curriculum I've purcharsed and we are enjoying it! We are Lesson 4 and this is the first real experiment we have had to do. I'll give another try this week and see if we get a different result. My son really enjoys the end of unit folders. It's basically a unit lapbook of everything learned. I wasn't too sure he would like it, but he ended up spending several hours the folder for the first unit and he did a great job on it.

We used this curriculum last year and did this experiment. It took a long time for any evaporation and growth to occur -- long as in months! My daughter watched and watched. The paper clip disintegrated in the water, if that is any indication of how long this experiment sat. We just went on with the studies and let it go.

She did enjoy the study though.

We used this curriculum last year and did this experiment. It took a long time for any evaporation and growth to occur -- long as in months! My daughter watched and watched. The paper clip disintegrated in the water, if that is any indication of how long this experiment sat. We just went on with the studies and let it go.

She did enjoy the study though.

Oh dear! I don't think I want it sitting on my kitchen counter that long! I guess I could move it to the garage.