Menu

Rock Collection

Hello,

I'm looking for a good rock collection that has a good variety of rocks in the three basic categories: Igneous, Sedimentary, and Metamorphic.

Also, if it included minerals, that would be grand!

I don't want to spend more than about $40-$50, but I'd like a good selection and something the kids can actually touch and feel. It would be great if they're not tiny.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I don't know off hand, but have you done a search for rock collections? I know when we studied rocks and I wanted samples, there were a number of places on the net you could find them to buy. The bigger the samples, the more they are going to cost. I know Nature's Workshop Plus sells small sample cases with igneous or sedimentary or metamorphic or all three together. They also have gems, fossils, etc. http://www.workshopplus.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=h&idCategory=172

Good luck!

Look at www.northwestrockandfossil.com . (You can Google Northwest Treasures.) I talked to Patrick Narre there by phone a couple of years ago when I was preparing for us to study geology. He put together a rock collection for me that was fantastic!!! I think I paid around $90, BUT that was due to the kind of collection I wanted. He'll work with you and build the kind of collection you want.

I purchased examples of sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks. I also wanted rocks that would represent the Mohs scale of hardness so that we could do scratch tests. He also packaged rocks that were examples of intrusive and extrusive rocks. I also asked him for some minerals. It was a wonderful rock collection?

All of the rocks were in individually packaged rock-sized zippy bags and each was labeled. The individual bags were then put into bigger zippy bags that were labeled for the catagories of rocks they represented: sedimentary, intrusive, Mohs, etc... I was thrilled with the whole experience, and I can highly recommend him.