Menu

Why do I feel sad??

Took DS to his 15m appt today. Talked with the ped about our theories on DS and dairy, what we've tried, etc. He confirmed that DS is allergic....at least for now. His exact words were "Will he outgrow it? Hopefully."

I've had both he and I dairy free since June. It worked. Essentially, I already knew. So....why do I feel sad and disappointed?

Because even though you were gearing up for it, it's a loss.

Avoiding dairy is a struggle.

We've adapted, but it is hard.

Depending on how severe the allergy is, it's scary too - you see GoldFish crackers everywhere. Kids eat cheese for healthy snacks. Milk spills.

:grouphug:

Unfortunately, ds had a skin test this summer after environmental allergen reactions. We had been hoping to do an oral challenge with dairy and had hoped he'd have outgrown his allergy. He hadn't.

I've posted cookbooks I've found helpful before.

Enjoy Life is a wonderful brand - expensive, but safe - and they have chocolate!!

Give yourself time to grieve. You'll be able to handle it. And, far better to lose foods now rather than once your son enjoyed the taste.

You're not alone.

Feel free to PM if you need any support or just a place to vent.

My oldest was clearly dairy allergic when he was 12 months but a year later when we tried again, there was no problem and he's been fine with it since. There's so many more products on the market now then a decade ago that hopefully you won't have such a time with it.

I'm allergic but can handle small amounts and do better with some dairy than others--I just have to watch it.