Menu

Math after 8th Grade

Negin

We've used Calvert Math and dd has just recently started 7th Grade. Calvert stops at 8th. I'm happy with Calvert and like the cyclical nature of it.

We've also used Singapore for extra practice.

We love the Key To series. I really appreciate the emphasis on one topic at a time, particularly when the student needs go into something with greater depth and get more drill, and Calvert's cyclical method just doesn't always work.

What math program can anyone recommend for 8th Grade and up? Something similar to any of these?

I'm not into DVDs or online-based programs.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

Thank you :). Off to look into these. Never heard of either of them.

In that case I'll give you more information. Lial's is actually books by Margart Lial and co-authors. It is a college series that starts with Basic College Math (can be used for pre-algebra), then goes to Introduction to Algebra (Algebra I) and continues on from there. You can find them on Amazon. Going back one edition from current will let you buy them used very inexpensively (under $10/book typically). They have huge problem sets, don't even think of doing them all :001_smile:. All the teaching is in the book and I would say they are mastery based. They are very popular over on the High School board and if you search for posts from Jan in TX, you'll find lots of information.

The kids they are not good for are those who are easily visually distracted. The pages are large with lots of small type. There are over 100 problems/unit and they are often on just a couple of pages. They are also geared toward older students, so the word problems are about things like mortgages and paychecks or whatever, not the typical kid problems.