Menu

Sensory under-responsivity problems

acat

Hi,

I am at my wits end with my almost 9 year old daughter's sensory issues. She was discharged from Easter Seals a year ago so I can get no help there. Since I started homeschooling for the first time a few weeks ago, we have had a huge resurgence of under-responsivity behaviors. Basically, her clothes all feel way to loose. It is so bad that she cries every morning and has to be forcibly dressed so that we can leave the house. Tonight, she could not find pajamas that fit and went to bed in a robe sobbing the whole time. I put a weighted blanket on her to see if it would stop the tears. On top of that, she can't find sneakers that feel OK and is still wearing ragged flip-flops. We are brushing using the Willaberger technique. We have also tried giving her consequences to no avail (this tactic has never worked but we still try it). She is very thin and it is nearly impossible to find clothes that are tight enough.

The doctor that treats her PDD-NOS recommended upping her anti-anxiety med which usually results in no sleeping or eating for her. He felt this was a chemical issue and not the result of the change to homeschooling (I gather he is pro-homeschooling or that would have been the first thing he blamed). Nevertheless, I have changed out some of our curriculum and my approaches based on her stress response.

Can anyone share some tactics they have used for this issue with their own kids? :confused::confused::confused:

I also wanted to add that she is complaining she feels as if someone is following her. (Someone she can't see) She is afraid to be alone outside or downstairs because of this. Has anybody else heard of this happening outside the realm of true psychosis? Thanks

Edited by acat

What if you got her a ballet-type, stretch-fitting, cat-suit type of thing to wear underneath other clothes? If the fabric had to stretch to get on, it might feel tight enough for her. Fall is coming, so it would have the added benefit of keeping her warm, like a pair of long underwear. I've read about adult women with severe under-responsivity actually wearing scuba-type outfits under their clothes and liking it a lot, and this was the closest I could think of that might actually be practical for a young child.

I have no idea about the feeling someone is following her, but I would suspect it COULD be generated by extreme sensory issues: clothes moving on your back, rubbing the tiny hairs on the back of your neck, hearing things behind you or coming from someplace you can't quite pinpoint, small sounds that are inaudible or just don't register with neurotypical people. All the same, I'd find it distressing as you do and want it checked out by a psychologist or psychiatrist.

What if you got her a ballet-type, stretch-fitting, cat-suit type of thing to wear underneath other clothes? If the fabric had to stretch to get on, it might feel tight enough for her. Fall is coming, so it would have the added benefit of keeping her warm, like a pair of long underwear. I've read about adult women with severe under-responsivity actually wearing scuba-type outfits under their clothes and liking it a lot, and this was the closest I could think of that might actually be practical for a young child.

I have no idea about the feeling someone is following her, but I would suspect it COULD be generated by extreme sensory issues: clothes moving on your back, rubbing the tiny hairs on the back of your neck, hearing things behind you or coming from someplace you can't quite pinpoint, small sounds that are inaudible or just don't register with neurotypical people. All the same, I'd find it distressing as you do and want it checked out by a psychologist or psychiatrist.

:iagree: Walmart will be bringing out all their winter wear right now. Last year, we bought my son several long sleeve spandex-like shirts, they are made to wear under clothing for snowboarding, skiing, etc. I bought a size smaller than he is, because I wanted it to be tight. It works great. Same with weighted vests. For both of these items, try to limit their use to 20 minutes at a time, usually when you really need them to calm down and pay attention.

Have you thought of getting her some coloured glasses? Our OT brought over a case of them for my son to try. Usually sensory dysfunction will alter how we see things, so it is normal for 2 or 3 colours to be preferred. My son happened to love the blue, purple and orange glasses. They too will help calm him for about 20 minutes.

Many OT tricks can be soothing for a sensory seeker/avoider. Have you tried her in one of those Ikea bag-type swings? Most kids with sensory dysfunction LOVE those. Oh, here's another one: buy a few yards of very strong spandex from a fabric store. Lay it on the floor and have her lie down on it. Have an adult on each side pick up the ends and gently swing her in the "hammock". It will create wonderful deep pressure as the fabric gives way just enough for her weight, and the gentle rocking is calming as well. Be sure to count down. Ie: if your hand is about to fall off, say "going down in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1" and slow down before gently putting them down. Stopping the hammock too suddenly could have an unsettling effect.

When my boy is in a seeking mood, he likes to play with fidget toys, in particular, sticky tack or putty. He also like sandpaper and rubbing his face on different textures.

For not sleeping, try Melatonin. You can get it at a natural food store and they can help you with dosage. It's a naturally occuring chemical in the human brain so considered safe, and Melatonin will recreate the feeling of tiredness and may help her fall asleep. For those times she does wake up, are you getting up with her? I strongly advise you not to, because that is rewarding. If she cannot be alone or trusted to be safe, then make her room safe and do what you must to keep her in the room all night long. Be it a gate, a lock, doesn't matter. You need rest or you'll go crazy. (And if people want to freak out on me for suggesting that, too bad. Live in my shoes with a child who sleeps for 3 hours a night and try to survive.) Sure, she may freak out at first, but you can put a clock in her room and explain that when the clock says 7 (or whatever) then it's time to come out and have breakfast. With special needs kids, we *must* find a way to help them sleep or at least find a way that we can while they are safe. It is no lie that our lives especially hinge on this one need.

As for the being followed, I wholeheartedly agree. She needs to be seen by a pediatric psychologist and a pediatric neurologist.

:iagree: Walmart will be bringing out all their winter wear right now. Last year, we bought my son several long sleeve spandex-like shirts, they are made to wear under clothing for snowboarding, skiing, etc. I bought a size smaller than he is, because I wanted it to be tight. It works great. Same with weighted vests. For both of these items, try to limit their use to 20 minutes at a time, usually when you really need them to calm down and pay attention.

Have you thought of getting her some coloured glasses? Our OT brought over a case of them for my son to try. Usually sensory dysfunction will alter how we see things, so it is normal for 2 or 3 colours to be preferred. My son happened to love the blue, purple and orange glasses. They too will help calm him for about 20 minutes.

Many OT tricks can be soothing for a sensory seeker/avoider. Have you tried her in one of those Ikea bag-type swings? Most kids with sensory dysfunction LOVE those. Oh, here's another one: buy a few yards of very strong spandex from a fabric store. Lay it on the floor and have her lie down on it. Have an adult on each side pick up the ends and gently swing her in the "hammock". It will create wonderful deep pressure as the fabric gives way just enough for her weight, and the gentle rocking is calming as well. Be sure to count down. Ie: if your hand is about to fall off, say "going down in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1" and slow down before gently putting them down. Stopping the hammock too suddenly could have an unsettling effect.

When my boy is in a seeking mood, he likes to play with fidget toys, in particular, sticky tack or putty. He also like sandpaper and rubbing his face on different textures.

For not sleeping, try Melatonin. You can get it at a natural food store and they can help you with dosage. It's a naturally occuring chemical in the human brain so considered safe, and Melatonin will recreate the feeling of tiredness and may help her fall asleep. For those times she does wake up, are you getting up with her? I strongly advise you not to, because that is rewarding. If she cannot be alone or trusted to be safe, then make her room safe and do what you must to keep her in the room all night long. Be it a gate, a lock, doesn't matter. You need rest or you'll go crazy. (And if people want to freak out on me for suggesting that, too bad. Live in my shoes with a child who sleeps for 3 hours a night and try to survive.) Sure, she may freak out at first, but you can put a clock in her room and explain that when the clock says 7 (or whatever) then it's time to come out and have breakfast. With special needs kids, we *must* find a way to help them sleep or at least find a way that we can while they are safe. It is no lie that our lives especially hinge on this one need.

As for the being followed, I wholeheartedly agree. She needs to be seen by a pediatric psychologist and a pediatric neurologist.

I have tried most of these things, but have not done the colored glasses or the hammock. We do use melatonin (which works after we determined she was spitting it out behind her bookshelf) We run into problems with sleep now when the doctor raises her medication. I also will try to find some tight shirts or leotards. She is scheduled to see the therapist today.

It sounds like she may lack a good sense of where she is in space - the tight clothes, etc., help us know where our "edges" are, in addition to being more tactily secure. Exercise or chores that work her muscles is typically recommended. When she recieved OT, did they treat vestibular issues? How is her balance with her eyes closed? Inadequate processing of movement/vestibular input can result in a lack of a sense of stability and where we are in space, increasing anxiety and phobias. It is not uncommon for people with this issue to have nightmares of falling or near falling disturbing their sleep. Anchoring with another person in the room, the weighted blanket, etc. can make a huge difference. The lycra body sox, lycra swings/hammocks, etc., also help. An uncluttered environment with clear visual demarcations of space also helps, as they'll be more dependent on their visual system.

Really don't know if this describes your daughter, but just thought I'd toss it out as a possibility.

Hope you have a better day,

NCW

It sounds like she may lack a good sense of where she is in space - the tight clothes, etc., help us know where our "edges" are, in addition to being more tactily secure. Exercise or chores that work her muscles is typically recommended. When she recieved OT, did they treat vestibular issues? How is her balance with her eyes closed? Inadequate processing of movement/vestibular input can result in a lack of a sense of stability and where we are in space, increasing anxiety and phobias. It is not uncommon for people with this issue to have nightmares of falling or near falling disturbing their sleep. Anchoring with another person in the room, the weighted blanket, etc. can make a huge difference. The lycra body sox, lycra swings/hammocks, etc., also help. An uncluttered environment with clear visual demarcations of space also helps, as they'll be more dependent on their visual system.

Really don't know if this describes your daughter, but just thought I'd toss it out as a possibility.

Hope you have a better day,

NCW

The OT mentioned at first that she did have a very underdeveloped vestibular system. She could spin in the IKEA swing forever and not get dizzy. The clutter issue is interesting though. She tears everything out of her drawers and then can't seem to find anything to wear. I am considering only leaving a few outfits at a time in the dresser.

Hi,

I am at my wits end with my almost 9 year old daughter's sensory issues. She was discharged from Easter Seals a year ago so I can get no help there. Since I started homeschooling for the first time a few weeks ago, we have had a huge resurgence of under-responsivity behaviors. Basically, her clothes all feel way to loose. It is so bad that she cries every morning and has to be forcibly dressed so that we can leave the house. Tonight, she could not find pajamas that fit and went to bed in a robe sobbing the whole time. I put a weighted blanket on her to see if it would stop the tears. On top of that, she can't find sneakers that feel OK and is still wearing ragged flip-flops. We are brushing using the Willaberger technique. We have also tried giving her consequences to no avail (this tactic has never worked but we still try it). She is very thin and it is nearly impossible to find clothes that are tight enough.

The doctor that treats her PDD-NOS recommended upping her anti-anxiety med which usually results in no sleeping or eating for her. He felt this was a chemical issue and not the result of the change to homeschooling (I gather he is pro-homeschooling or that would have been the first thing he blamed). Nevertheless, I have changed out some of our curriculum and my approaches based on her stress response.

Can anyone share some tactics they have used for this issue with their own kids? :confused::confused::confused:

I also wanted to add that she is complaining she feels as if someone is following her. (Someone she can't see) She is afraid to be alone outside or downstairs because of this. Has anybody else heard of this happening outside the realm of true psychosis? Thanks

The spandex clothing solution suggested by the other posters seems like an excellent idea. Also, have you tried a "Bear Hug" vest? My daughter used to wear it under her clothes. She still prefers tight clothes, but now that she's 13, she's become more cooperative about clothing choices.

http://www.southpawenterprises.com/Bear-Hugs-P837.aspx

I had to laugh when you mentioned your daughter spitting out her pills. I still peer into my daughter's mouth to make sure she's swallowed hers. One of her other tricks used to be to pour her beverages out (in drawers, in corners, etc.).

Regarding the anti-anxiety meds, sometimes finding the most effective medication and dosage is more an art than a science (and increasing the dosage doesn't always result in reducing the behavior - sometimes the opposite). So it may take some trial and error before you reach that optimal (for her) treatment.

Regarding imagining that someone is following her - yes, I have seen that as well. In kindergarten, they read a Halloween story about a witch, and for months aftward she was frantically terrified that a witch was peering in her window. Not at all psychotic, yet totally irrational. Her behavior was a result of fixating on an idea and not being able to let it go.

Good luck, I hope things get easier for you. :)

I haven't personally dealt with these issues, but I noticed when buying other special ed products that one ot website sells weighted clothing. If you found the weighted blanket helped calm her down, maybe the weighted clothing would be useful too and more mobile. Some of these look like regular clothes and can be worn over regular clothes. http://www.therapro.com/Weighted-Products-C297460.aspx

I don't have lots of great new suggestions but wanted to share that my oldest son shares alot of your daughters issues. Like others we use melatonin to help with sleep, it has moderate success. He has been using it since kindergarten when he first started taking medication for ADD. Even though he has been off the ADD meds for over two years now since we started homeschooling, he still takes melatonin before bed.

At night when he can't sleep or settle down I give him whole body pressure. He's a big kid (almost 12 and 165lbs, 5'4") so it takes alot of weight to give him some relief. A couple of ways we do this on a budget (meaning we have never gotten any OT and don't have any fancy weighted vests - no insurance to cover anything), I lay a fluffy comforter on the floor and have him roll up in it like a burrito. Then I take a big exercise ball and using my body weight for pressure I roll it up and down his body. At other times I place a large pillow between us and he lays on his stomach then I lay on top of the pillow, moving my weight as needed. This deep muscle stimulation really relaxes him and will allow him to focus better during the school or be able to go to sleep at night.

We have a mini trampoline for him to jump on for stimulation and I've been wanting to get him a hammock swing as well - trying to figure out how to afford one and attach it to hold his weight is a whole other issue.

As for the other issue: I have been plagued my whole life by a sense of being watched and my 8 year old son also has anxiety problems at night where he feels like someone is watching him (he also has some sensory issues - is hypersensitive more like me - the older son is definitely hyposensitive). I don't think either of us has a psychosis, but I do think that we both (all) have some anxiety issues that are probably stimulated by sensitivity problems. For myself caffeine and exercise both help me to calm down (yikes) and I'm learning to moderate our diet as well.

I just want to let you know that you, and your daughter, are not alone in what you are dealing with.

At night when he can't sleep or settle down I give him whole body pressure. He's a big kid (almost 12 and 165lbs, 5'4") so it takes alot of weight to give him some relief. A couple of ways we do this on a budget (meaning we have never gotten any OT and don't have any fancy weighted vests - no insurance to cover anything), I lay a fluffy comforter on the floor and have him roll up in it like a burrito. Then I take a big exercise ball and using my body weight for pressure I roll it up and down his body. At other times I place a large pillow between us and he lays on his stomach then I lay on top of the pillow, moving my weight as needed. This deep muscle stimulation really relaxes him and will allow him to focus better during the school or be able to go to sleep at night.

I was shocked at the cost of the weighted blanket. I actually made my own using ziploc freezer bags filled with sand. And I am a terrible sewer. Everyone has made great suggestions. Thanks!

Andrea