Menu

Any good fish tank science projects for younger kids?

Aoife

I just finished setting up a nice little 5 gallon aquarium in our schoolroom today for some added decoration and an opportunity to have a school pet :tongue_smilie: I also thought it would be a good science tool down the line and good for the boys to get to observe fish and growing plants.

That said does anyone know of any good projects we could do with our aquarium that would be fun for a younger child? Right now it is a tropical setup with a heater keeping the water a nice 78 degrees but we haven't added any fish yet.

my google searches are not bringing up anything noteworthy though.

Guppy breeding? Males and females are recognizable by shape. And the female guppies don't lay eggs; it's live birth. It would be interesting for the kids to count how many babies a single female guppy gives birth to. I know you have to remove the father to a separate tank, because he'll eat them; I'm not sure if you have to remove the mom as well. I remember feeding baby guppies powdered guppy food.

Also, let some algae develop, then introduce a snail to see how effective it is at cleaning the glass of the aquarium. Find some way to measure its daily progress.

That's about all I remember of my own childhood fish adventures.

Here we continue to be amazed by the longevity of a single feeder goldfish. It's been 6 years now! I was hoping we'd see a lot of growth (he's in a ten-gallon tank), and you know how fish are supposed to keep growing as long as they have room, but he only grew about 3-4 inches long. Which reminds me, I should see if I can find an aquatic snail that could work in that tank (it has a filter, but no heat), because algae is a big problem, especially in the summer.

You could raise tadpoles or turtles (although you may have to add some rocks for out-of-the-water space).

Get snails, crabs, etc. to observe (usually available at fish stores).

Observing behaviour and feeding, discussing which fish can go together and why (or which can't and why).

We have a 10 gallon tank and my kids love just looking at it and feeding the fish (when they are allowed).