Menu

Oakmeadow Pre-school?

yellowperch

What is it like? Seems lovely oneline, but I'm wondering how it would work in a busy house. In the past, I've simply taught my 4 year old to read, played a few math games a week and let him play.

If you've tried, used or seen this program, I'd lov eto hear your thoughts.

Let me preface this post by saying that I absolutely ADORE Oak Meadow and plan to use it at least through 8th grade (and possibly longer). My daughter is starting OM5 tomorrow (we loved OM4 last year) and my son is starting OMK tomorrow.

With that said- I do not think it is necessary to purchase the OM Preschool curriculum. The books that come with it are not really a curriculum per se. The Heart of Learning kind of talks about things like children and their natural development and bonding with them and the cycles they go through and authority and discipline and bedtime rituals and so on and so forth. It's a parenting manual, more than anything.

The process manual kind of shows you how to get a rhythm to your day, gives you guidelines for recorder playing, gives tips for crayon drawings, water color paintings, form drawings, knitting, working with clay, choosing age appropriate stories and songs, and that kind of thing.

These manuals are both more for your info than to give you a specific curriculum for a preschooler.

The other "materials" that come in the "curriculum" are crayons, paint, and a toddlers sing CD.

OMK on the other hand...I think is a WONDERFUL curriculum and I can't wait to start it with my son (who is just about 5) tomorrow. That, too, comes with the "Heart of Learning" and the "Process Manual" so you'll get those if and when you buy OMK anyway!

If I were you, I'd keep preschool really, really informal. You don't need to spend money on it, really. Nature walks, wee sing CD's, stories suitable for preschoolers, simple crafts, exercise, outside play, imaginative play, homemade and simple musical instruments, and so on.

Next year, get OMK!

Keep in mind though that OMK doesn't stress academics either, it's more slow paced and gentle and laid back and hands on in K which I LOVE about it (you mentioned teaching 4 y/o to read in the past- it won't do that. But I don't see the rush, myself).

Guest Cindie2dds
What is it like? Seems lovely oneline, but I'm wondering how it would work in a busy house. In the past, I've simply taught my 4 year old to read, played a few math games a week and let him play.

If you've tried, used or seen this program, I'd lov eto hear your thoughts.

I, too, adore Oak Meadow. Their Preschool Home Teacher's Process Manual is actually different than the regular Home Teacher's Process Manual Nance is talking about used in K-3.

If you have a busy house and want something special for a little one, it's very light. There are circle time verses and rhymes specific for Preschool along with water color instructions and crayon drawing instructions. There's also a CD we still listen to today. There's not a daily, or even a weekly schedule to it. There are rhythms to the day for you to establish, development of the child, the importance of water, sand and imaginative play and that's really about it.

Now, had I been a little more relaxed when we found Oak Meadow last October, we probably would have used it with my youngest more. When I stand back and look at it for what it is, I can really appreciate it. I just got it when I had no idea what Waldorf was or their approach to education and the development of the whole child.

Would I recommend it? It depends how relaxed you are. If you are looking to have fun, paint and color with your child and learn some great techniques with art; yes. If you are looking to teach your child letters, numbers, early reading skills, etc.; no, it's not for you.

Hope this helps. :)

If you are wanting to do the preschool years like this I would recommend:

A Little Garden Flower

Or

Little Acorn Learning

Or even

Kindergarten with your three to six year old

These resources are all quite a bit less expensive and full of the same ideas and more that Oak Meadow offers in its preschool curriculum.

:001_smile:

Guest Cindie2dds
Really?? I didn't even know that! LOL

Yep. I bought OM K and OM PreK at the same time, so I assumed I would just need the one Home Teacher's Process Manual. When I called OM, they said they were different, and they are completely different. The Heart Of Learning, is exactly the same; just for an FYI. :)

Yep. I bought OM K and OM PreK at the same time, so I assumed I would just need the one Home Teacher's Process Manual. When I called OM, they said they were different, and they are completely different. The Heart Of Learning, is exactly the same; just for an FYI. :)

Ah okay! Good to know! Thanks :)