Menu

Greek pronunciation question from Elem Greek book

Julie in GA

The Greek verb "I know" begins with gamma-iota, but on the Elem. Greek CD is pronouned "ignosko" instead of "ginosko." Is this correct? It does mention that an English derivative of this word is "agnostic," which has a closer pronunciation to what I heard on the CD.

Did I miss a rule somewhere that gamma-iota is pronounced "ig" instead of "gi"?

Thanks for your help,

While we're here .... Ian also seems to pronounce the word for "I write" as "graphAY," although it ends with an omega. 'sup with that?

What track is that? It's been a while since I did EG1. I'm pretty sure my version has grapho for I write and hay graphAY for the writing or Scripture.

Karen

I just pulled out my book and CD. I'm assuming we're talking about Lesson 4 in Year One and track 16 on the audio? If so, I'm hearing gignosko with a hard g at the beginning (although it's faint and I'm using headphones). But he does say "graphe" and not "grapho" - that's an error. Graphe is a noun, and grapho is the verb introduced in this chapter. HTH!