Menu

Newbie wonders how much reading/history?

Guest skbomar

Guest skbomar

I am using TWTM schedule outline for my third grader, and I'm confused about the reading and history. Is his history reading and narrations included in his structured reading time, or is this reading time only for imaginative/classic works? Or, on the days we do history, is that his structured reading, and on other days his stories are his reading. Thanks

Guest TheBugsMom

I don't know if the way I interpret it is the way SWB intended it. The way we will do it is history 3 days a week but reading a history book will happen daily. The kids will also do personal reading daily. This reading is not scheduled during the school day hours but as a wind down after dinner. Narrations will happen on the days we do actual history work.

We are very similar to the pp...

The kids always have a book going (history related) that they read 30 min. a day for school. I don't make them do a written narration on this though... (SWB probably would). They give me an oral synopsis each day of what they read. We do history every day, but they only narrate one day a week on our "together" reading out of SOTW. I also read everybody a history related book once a week (this is usually a shorter picture book). The kids also read for fun nightly in their beds before they go to sleep. The smaller boys' school books are usually not history related. I tend to read to them a history or science related book together each day, then their school reading is at their level since they are both beginning readers.