Menu

Cozy Grammar question; carschooling

min

Hi everyone

I'm looking at Cozy Grammar, and it looks like it might be what I'm looking for. I want a curriculum choice that can be done entirely in the car, which means that I won't be able to present the information, though of course I'll be there if they want to pause the DVD and discuss. I do AAS, so I'm not opposed to teacher-intensive curriculum choices, it is just I want to be able to use the car time usefully.

If you've used it, can you talk to me about it? Specifically: For a child with virtually no formal grammar, would it be okay? I don't mind the lack of diagramming etc - what I want is to see good grammar used in their writing, if you kwim. (When I say no formal grammar - they know noun, verb etc.) The idea of the DVD and then workbook look ideal, and they'll all (more or less) be of an age to use it, so again, that's a plus.

I have looked at some of the videos online and they look good. I'll have to adapt some of the punctuation to reflect our, more English, usage, but that's okay.

Thanks!

Min

Cozy sounds like it would be a great fit for you. We did R&S last year and are opting for a more fun year this year using Cozy. The lessons will stay with them, so that's important. Good choice! IMO, this is one underrated curriculum! Yet it's won SOOO many awards! Just so hush-hush in hs circles. Pity.

Why?

I truly have no idea. The program uses DVDs, the teacher is engaging, endearing, funny... I suppose it's because there's the (unfair and often wrong) idea that if curricula has these qualities then it can't be rigorous enough? Sort of like the Teaching Textbooks debate. It could also be because it's a Canadian product, but I'd hate to entertain that thought. :confused:

We use (and love :001_wub:) Cozy Grammar.

The first part of the work can be done in the car, but what about the written work that needs to be done after watching the (sometimes short) video lesson? When I started my eldest (and now my 9yo), I had her just watch the dvds without doing the worksheets. She had done about half of a GUM workbook, so she had a bit of exposure before hand. I also checked out grammar picture books all year from the library. They both do Intermediate Language Lessons and Primary Language Lessons. Those books don't seem to break the grammar rules down though... at least not in a straight forward way like CG. For us this is the winning combination PLL/ILL with CG.

Have you children watched the samples? Because there are personality types that can't tolerate her style. We think she's awesome, and plan on sticking with her program long term.

Have you looked at Cozy Punctuation as well? That is a good fit for kids on the younger side of this curriculum.

I think it's fine for absolute beginners, but if your looking to develop strong writers, you may want to add in something else.

FWIW, my 6th grader is taking a break for at least 1/2 of the year from CG. She's not ready for the next level. I've ordered a history based writing program that has a bit of grammar, and an editing workbook. I want her to use the skills a bit, then go back at the end of the year to review the dvds. I'll order the next level of CG for 7th grade.

Sorry to write this so messy!

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

ps I know you want to do this in the car, but I've got to let you know it's been a lot of fun turning on our cheesy fire place over the years, grabbing a blanket, and cuddling up to do CG and CP. It's definitely cozy!

Thank you ladies, for your input! It sounds as though this will be a good fit for us. I will get the kids to watch her online before I purchase, as suggested. It took me a couple of minutes to get used to her style, but after that I thought she was gorgeous.

Helena, I was thinking of having the kids do the workbook in the car also, and just accepting that it will be messy. I asked DS about this and he said that would be okay as long as we shredded the workbooks afterwards, so that there was no chance of anyone seeing the messy work!

We're actually planning a very long road trip, and there will be many days with hours in the car. I'm hoping to get into a system where we do some schoolwork in the car on driving days, and leave the teacher-intensive stuff (like AAS) for when we get to the campsite. I'd like to make the most of that "dead" time in transit and have maximum time when we're there for local stuff.

Thanks

Min

Hi again

Helena - since you've used them - would you recommend starting with the grammar or punctuation, or do you think it wouldn't matter?

Min

I think punctuation is easier, but I don't think it matters which one you start with.

I wanted to tell you that (at least when I ordered my CG & CP), you only get one set of worksheets, and there's no way to order extra pages. That may have changed, but I don't think it has?

So, if you plan on using it for multiple children, or using it for other kids when their old enough, you'll have to make copies.

Also, I think you're supposed to rewrite the sentences from the worksheets onto lined paper. But since I made copies I just let her do the work directly on her copies. Once in a while there were a group of sentences she had to write out for it to make sense, but not very often. That might make it even more car friendly?

The punctuation is especially hard to see when you work directly on the printed worksheet. You might want to consider using a colored pen or pencil so that it is more visible (the type is kind of small and tight).

hth

let me know if you have any other questions. :)