Menu

Anyone here using Lyrical Life Science?

Jackie in NE

Did you supplement this at all? I am using this with my 6th grader. I chose it because she really has a phenomenal memory when she can memorize through song. Reading? Not so much.

If you've used this program, how did it work for you? It seems non-traditional to me, and it makes me a bit nervous....

Thanks, Jackie

We used Lyrical Earth Science two years ago with a 10 and 8 year old. I used it as a spine, but I brought in other workbook pages to supplement. I had several workbooks that I found by researching homeschool geology on the internet. This was definitely a class that I pieced together. I did a lot of research on the internet as well. For me, personally, I listened to The Teaching Company's Geology DVDs. I think the teacher's name was John West??? He was WONDERFUL! (.... Just my opinion). This DVD series helped ME understand geology concepts.

As far as Lyrical Earth Science.... my kids loved the music. Even now, 2 years later, they still listen to the songs for fun! Even though it's sort of non-traditional, it worked for us. I think the important thing is to have a spine or scope so that you have definite objectives to cover. Then use Lyrical Science and any other supplementary materials you can find to meet your objectives.

Music is definitely a good way to internalize information. It really works for some.

We supplement with it. I keep it simple...

1. Print off a copy of the lyrics for each child.

2. Introduce the songs and discuss the meaning of the vocabulary (takes a few days). Nothing hugely time consuming. I just want to make sure they are pronouncing the words correctly and KNOW what they are actually singing.

3. Sing together at the top of our lungs in the car whenever we are driving around town.

I found it especially helpful when learning human anatomy. The kids were able to remember a lot more through the songs.

2. Introduce the songs and discuss the meaning of the vocabulary (takes a few days). Nothing hugely time consuming. I just want to make sure they are pronouncing the words correctly and KNOW what they are actually singing.

Thanks for this reminder! I failed to do this with our Geography songs, and oy vey! the comical names they were singing for some countries! :lol: