Menu

Cool link for AP Lit

A friend of mine found this site today. It has all the titles cited in the Open Response question for the AP Lit exam from 1971-2010. A chart at the bottom lists the most frequently cited works in order. If you're trying to decide which books your AP Lit student should read this year, this might help.

http://homepage.mac.com/mseffie/AP/APtitles.html

Dd used Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis for her Open Response essay this year and scored well. So just because a book is not on this list does not mean it can't or shouldn't be used. I asked about TWHF on the AP Lit educator's forum from the College Board website, and the teachers thought it would be fine, as long as it would work with the prompt.

GardenMom

I just want to say that this list is large.

While your student should be encouraged to read extensively, we found that it is more important to know the books you wish to use for Open Response essay fodder in depth. Dd chose five books on which to concentrate. She read each at least twice and really studied them, using Cliff's notes and the WEM. She also used them in her practice essays at home, using the prompts you can get from this link.

HTH,

GardenMom

I just want to say that this list is large.

While your student should be encouraged to read extensively, we found that it is more important to know the books you wish to use for Open Response essay fodder in depth. Dd chose five books on which to concentrate. She read each at least twice and really studied them, using Cliff's notes and the WEM. She also used them in her practice essays at home, using the prompts you can get from this link.

HTH,

GardenMom

GardenMom, this note here is even more helpful than the link. Thank you!