Menu

RightStart Math or Math U See

sippycupcentral

Honestly, I didn't compare the two because I already use MUS for my 7yo, but I just wanted to say that I started my 5yo with it this year and he loves it. It was pretty easy at the beginning and we flew through the first 8 of 30 chapters, but it's stepping up pretty quickly. I can see that we'll settle in soon. But I'm happy that my son asks for it every day!

We used MUS Primer, Alpha and Beta and by the end my kids were tired of the monotony. They wanted more variety of problems and learning. My son, special needs, also had trouble with the blocks. So we switched to RS. It's perfect for the variety of lessons and I can't say enough about the abacus. It's really made a difference for both of my kids, but especially my special needs son.

Good luck finding what works best for you,

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I too think they are both great math programs. When we switched (my boys were in 5th & 6th grades) those were the 2 programs I seriously researched and chose between. One of the reasons I chose MUS was because my children were older and they wouldn't be in RS very long before having to switch to another math curricula. I also loved the DVD aspect of MUS, as well as the fact that it went through high school. When we watched the DVD Demo of MUS and my kids loved it, and learned several things just watching the DVD, I knew MUS was right for us. The DVD is nice because someone else who is much better at math is doing the teaching but I'm not removed from math. We watch the DVD together so I'm kept up to speed (and learning a lot) and can help my kids.

I have many friends using MUS, but at first glance RS seems to have great examples and lessons for a 5 year old. Could you please share your thoughts on why you would choose RS over MUS.

Thanks, Karen

I use RS, so I am biased towards that. :D

But one of the big differences I have heard of is that RS has a lot less worksheets than MUS. If you have a worksheet child then MUS would probably work better, and if you have a writing phobic child then RS will probably work better.

Heather