Menu

Need ideas for a Botany course for HS

My dd has taken Physical Science and Biology. She can't take Chemistry until she finishes algebra, right? So, she asked if she could do something with Botany for credit for HS. She is going to take the Master Gardening Course In January, but any ideas for a course in Botany or something related? Books, videos, etc.

Thank-you so much!

Nicole

These are some of the ideas I came up with. I suppose it's more of like an applied botany class...

Kym Wrights Flower Arranging unit study (Rainbow Resource)

Folkllore and Legends of Flowers (several resources available, I just did a search at Amazon for ideas)

Medicinal Herbs

Aromatherapy

It's just a list at this point, some ideas that I had tossed around, but I never went any further, because it doesn't look like dd will have time.

Check out Epel's Botany in a Day.

While learning about plant parts and stuff is important (and that is what is in typical botany textbooks) I think our students would get more life-long joy from being able to identify plants. Once you can recognize many plant species (even from a moving car :001_smile:), you can start seeing the ecological patterns and how plants form communities. This can be a life-long fun pursuit, just like birding.

Google your state and "native plant society." Many of them have great resources on their websites. If you live in California, CalFlor is amazing. Type in a zip code and you can see plants that were collected in your area and their pictures.

Use a good field book, learn major plant families (by Epel's book) and your student could be on his/her way to a great hobby.

The Private Life of Plants -- video by David Attenborough.

Also, I found the description of Betsy in Betsy Was a Junior putting together her year long botany project on the night before the due date to be rather amusing. (If you are at all into Betsy-Tacy.) It's only one chapter and you wouldn't learn any botany from it.

We came across the Society for Ethnobiology when my daughter first expressed an interest in doing an ethnobiology or ethnobotany elective: http://ethnobiology.org/education/syllabi

They have a couple of syllabi for ethnobotany courses, which studies the relationships between plants, people and culture.

Alternatively, you could look into environmental science. I believe Oak Meadow has a high school environmental science syllabi, and there are probably some other programs out there too. :)

My dd has taken Physical Science and Biology. She can't take Chemistry until she finishes algebra, right? So, she asked if she could do something with Botany for credit for HS. She is going to take the Master Gardening Course In January, but any ideas for a course in Botany or something related? Books, videos, etc.

Thank-you so much!

Nicole

We have the Botony Coloring Book. It is college level material - great stuff. Search for it at Amazon. We've used the Botony, Marine Biology and Zoology.

Thank-you, Ladies! What a wealth of info and leads to some great material. I appreciate all of your great ideas.....I have been checking out the different links and resources you have all suggested and I'm very pleased. So is my dd.

I have a couple of things ordered and I hope the library is well stocked! :)

Many Blessings~

Nicole