Menu

Select Entry High School Interview tips needed

We have been pondering J going back to school. In Australia the qualification that gets you into Uni is based on the final two years work, so we've been looking at him going back to school to do that for a number of reasons. A friend suggested we try applying to the local select entry school. They take kids from Gr 9-12. In Gr 9 and 10 their selection is based on marks. In Gr 11 their selection is based on extra curricular, to give the school balance apparantly.

J has applied for Gr 11 entry, and he has got onto the short list and has an interview on Thursday! Apparantly the short list is quite short, so he has a decent shot at getting in. I can't find any information at all as to what they are likely to ask him about, has anyone in any country had kids (or themselves) do interviews for special highschools (i.e UK Grammar schools)? We are just really unsure what they will ask and I'd like J to be as prepared as possible.

TIA :)

Update in Post 5

Edited by keptwoman
update

Sandra, I interviewed for some prestigious girls schools in WA when I was in school, at Y7 and again at Y10. I was surprised by the broad selection of questions they asked. Anything from who is the current PM? Opposition leader? To what is your life's ambition? How do you think you will achieve that? Favourite book and why?

I would make sure that he brushes up on his general knowledge. Is confident when answering, speaks clearly, full sentence answers, dresses nicely etc. If he has listed specific achievements in an application then be prepared to discuss them in depth.

Other than that I wish him very good luck!

Hi Sandra,

We have just returned to Victoria and the 2 oldest have started school after homeschooling for 5 years.

They both won scholarships to a top school in Vic,but we decided on a smaller school which the kids needed to sit an interview for.

The questions varied greatly:

* What are your favourite subjects?* Weakest areas, strongest areas*, Hobbies* General knowledge questions...mainly about current affairs,* Thoughts of where they saw themselves in next few years- occupation wise/study wise/ personal level etc

If we had have returned to Berwick, I would have certainly had them apply to the 9-12 school at Monash.

Good luck, I'm sure he we do well.

UPDATE: He said that first there was a group interview, he felt it all went well and he was the only one that could easily do the problem solving given to them. They did group activities of some description too and he got on well with the other boys. Then they had an individual interview, he said they asked him lots about how he would cope from moving from homeschooling to schooling and he felt he answered well.

They have a sailing team which he is ecstatic about, and he was pointed out to the sailing coach as he was leaving.

Someone told him... and he doesn't know how true it is, that they only interview 12 of the 150 applications for the 6 places. I've really got my fingers crossed now, as I think not getting in will be very upsetting for him. I don't know when we will find out.

He is very optomistic, I am cautiously optomistic, and very very nervous!!