Menu

Spalding Vs AAS

tarana

One of my DD(8yrs) is a terrible speller. We tried AAS for last 2 summers, but things have not improved. A qualified Spalding teacher offered to do some free group sessions (3/week) for a few weeks. I may be allowed to watch a couple of sessions.

For those of you using Spalding,

1. What can I expect on how the lessons are structured?

2. Considering that someone else will do all the teaching, should I still get a copy of the Phonogram CD & the book? I have AAS-1 to 5. Really I don't want to spend anymore if I can help it.

3. How is Spalding similar to or different than AAS?

One of my DD(8yrs) is a terrible speller. We tried AAS for last 2 summers, but things have not improved. A qualified Spalding teacher offered to do some free group sessions (3/week) for a few weeks. I may be allowed to watch a couple of sessions.

For those of you using Spalding,

1. What can I expect on how the lessons are structured?

2. Considering that someone else will do all the teaching, should I still get a copy of the Phonogram CD & the book? I have AAS-1 to 5. Really I don't want to spend anymore if I can help it.

3. How is Spalding similar to or different than AAS?

I can anaswer the last question.

Honestly I think it just takes more time to sink in than doing a program over the summer. My oldest went through 4 books before I saw a jump (in 1.5 years hsing year around) and she went from a 7th grade level with SWR (she started our in SWR around a 4th grade level went up to 7th grade in a year then was stuck at 7th grade for almost 2 years) to testing at a 8.8 grade level in AAS, just last week. I don't think you will see great results from either program without putting in more time.

SWR works with words based on spelling level and frequency of use, so any list could have multiple rules and many different sound combinations. AAS groups them based on spelling rules and sound introduced. SWR doesn't now formally teach syllable rules, though they are included in the SWR manual they are not brought into the WISE guide. AAS has a huge emphasis on syllable rules. SWR teaches all sounds and rules up front where AAS teaches several of them upfront, but a good chunk you learn as you go. SWR uses fingerspelling and markups instead of tiles. AAS has a built in review system for words, and with SWR you need to come up with your own way to keep track of and review missed words. AAS is pretty open and go, once you get the tiles and cards set up and with SWR you have to read and understand the program before you can teach it.

Both are very strong programs. SWR has a yahoo group that the author is a part of.

Heather